John O’Shea/Big Sam

I still wonder what would be if Big Sam stayed instead of taken the England job.

Hard to say, but we would have been nowhere being relegated that season.
I'll never forget walking away from that Everton game after sealing our safety and sending that lot down.

Felt like we were on the edge of something special if we had the right summer and pre-season. Then we brought in Moyes. FFS.

I still wonder what would be if Big Sam stayed instead of taken the England job.

He wasn’t happy about certain things at the club before the England job came up though, so I don’t think he’d have lasted long anyway.

Allardyce and Short still hadn't agreed the transfer budget when he left. He left on 22nd July.

You could argue he was distracted by the England talk, but for context - at the time of the Iceland game - Stoke were the only other club who hadn't actually made a summer signing, let alone agreed budgets. We also know 16/17 was the season Short started to pull the plug - for all we went on to spend decent money on Ndong and Djilibodji, they were signed specifically because we could pay next to nothing up front and spread the rest on the never never.

He would have walked after the start of the season imo.
Seem to remember Big Sam saying he would have left us anyway as him and Short had different ideas on the club.
He actually said the opposite, but it's easy to say that in hindsight. I agree he would have walked. There were rumours of it before the end of the previous season, fiddled by Allardyce himself.

Last edited:

Didn’t he say he was leaving regardless of the England job? He previously stated he wouldn’t go on beyond that season?

I’ve just found this. Although he stated he would have stayed, there were many rumours and thoughts at the time that he would be away. The last season with short tightening the belt was the underpinning reason.

Anyway, here is the quote.
Nonetheless, there were also rumours that Allardyce was thinking of leaving Sunderland irrespective of being offered the England job. But the 65-year-old is adamant that was not the case and has revealed he had held positive talks with former owner Ellis Short about the direction the club would take that summer.

Most interesting part when they asked o shea if he’d been interested in our managers job ‘of course but he’d spoke to Mowbray when he joined Birmingham and he’d told him model was just kids to be signed etc’ Allardyce and him just shook their heads Allardyce commented with ‘what, really oh dear, why’
Seems Speakman and KLD’s utopia vision isn’t shared by many else 😂😂

Allardyce is a charlatan
In what sense?
Most interesting part when they asked o shea if he’d been interested in our managers job ‘of course but he’d spoke to Mowbray when he joined Birmingham and he’d told him model was just kids to be signed etc’ Allardyce and him just shook their heads Allardyce commented with ‘what, really oh dear, why’
Seems Speakman and KLD’s utopia vision isn’t shared by many else 😂😂
When is it that in the clip?

Last edited:
Allardyce and Short still hadn't agreed the transfer budget when he left. He left on 22nd July.

You could argue he was distracted by the England talk, but for context - at the time of the Iceland game - Stoke were the only other club who hadn't actually made a summer signing, let alone agreed budgets. We also know 16/17 was the season Short started to pull the plug - for all we went on to spend decent money on Ndong and Djilibodji, they were signed specifically because we could pay next to nothing up front and spread the rest on the never never.

He would have walked after the start of the season imo.

He actually said the opposite, but it's easy to say that in hindsight. I agree he would have walked. There were rumours of it before the end of the previous season, fiddled by Allardyce himself.

Had Big Sam stayed he'd have been sacked a few months into the new season after a poor start. Just like Advocaat was after keeping us up, just like Di Canio....

He wasn’t happy about certain things at the club before the England job came up though, so I don’t think he’d have lasted long anyway.
Plus the club was already in a state of total shambles behind the scenes. We'd have struggled badly that season with Allardyce, or anyone else we could have realistically attracted, in charge but there'd have been plenty of managers out there who would have had us putting up more of a fight than that twat Moyes managed.

Back