Jobs for the boys?

I remember being really disappointed in the players who went on the early 80's tour, as well as the 1980 Lions tour, the '84 England rugby tour and the South African F1 Grand Prix. South Africa were still trading, despite the boycott at the time, so the only thing that would really hurt their prestige and ego was no sport.

No other sports, however, were banning British players, so it was a matter of personal conscience. At least the TCCB imposed a ban, although admittedly it may have been done with an upcoming West Indies tour in mind.

Mike Gatting's tour never played a game, though, because the protests when they arrived in South Africa were so strong. Maybe that was their justification for no punishment? Who knows?

I never thought Ray Illingworth and Peter Lever publicly humiliating Devon Malcolm, the one bowler that the hosting South Africans genuinely feared, was very productive. I know Malcolm had a civil claim for damages due to racism thrown out of court, and he was an inconsistent bowler, but his treatment on an England tour never sat well with me.

No surprise - the higher echelons of the game were closed to anyone who has not gone to public school for many many years. There has been some change but not much. I have always thought that anyone from normal school had to be 3 times better than a public schoolboy to stand any chance at all.

No surprise - the higher echelons of the game were closed to anyone who has not gone to public school for many many years. There has been some change but not much. I have always thought that anyone from normal school had to be 3 times better than a public schoolboy to stand any chance at all.

I don’t buy that mind. There’s a shocking lack of state educated players - batsmen in particular - coming through at the top level but I think that’s because cricket shut itself off to the working classes over the last 15 years, not favouritism

Fair point but have you ever been invited to play for a Gentlemen's side or a nomadic side?

Durham Pilgrims, MCC out-team, Yorkshire Gents perhaps?

Fair point but have you ever been invited to play for a Gentlemen's side or a nomadic side?

Durham Pilgrims, MCC out-team, Yorkshire Gents perhaps?
They probably are elitist but are few and far between. Durham have had a full team of players chosen to play for England, none of whom went to public school. There are a disproportionate number of privately school educated representing England but that's solely down to the fact that cricket is rarely played in state schools.

They probably are elitist but are few and far between. Durham have had a full team of players chosen to play for England, none of whom went to public school. There are a disproportionate number of privately school educated representing England but that's solely down to the fact that cricket is rarely played in state schools.

There are a hell of a lot of them in Yorkshire. Yorkshire Gents, Craven Gents, Hawks, Druids, Wharfedale Ramblers, York Non-descripts. That is just off the top of my head.

Cricket is elitest and here's just one example:
Hetton school became a cricket academy a few years back, there indoor facilities are two nets on a rubber type floor which when using it makes the Waca look slow and low.
Coming soon in The Cricketer there is a feature on the indoor centre constructed by Paragon Structures at Millfield Senior School (public school in Somerset at a mere 12k a term) the centre has an indoor netting system as well as a new DCI Pro surface system manufactured in the UK by Playrite There are lanes for spin and seam as well as a dedicated fielding area with an injury reducing shockpad that allows players to dive about. This is in addition to their 4 lane 4g nets facility they already have.
That facility is better than anything our county have to offer also, so if anyone doesn't believe it isnt an elitest sport take a closer look and the poeple who continually get positions at the top.

Hetton school became a cricket academy a few years back, there indoor facilities are two nets on a rubber type floor which when using it makes the Waca look slow and low.
Coming soon in The Cricketer there is a feature on the indoor centre constructed by Paragon Structures at Millfield Senior School (public school in Somerset at a mere 12k a term) the centre has an indoor netting system as well as a new DCI Pro surface system manufactured in the UK by Playrite There are lanes for spin and seam as well as a dedicated fielding area with an injury reducing shockpad that allows players to dive about. This is in addition to their 4 lane 4g nets facility they already have.
That facility is better than anything our county have to offer also, so if anyone doesn't believe it isnt an elitest sport take a closer look and the poeple who continually get positions at the top.
Be very interested to know how much funding arrives in the north east as opposed to some of the more southern counties. I bet i know the answer.

Durham are regularly amongst the best funded of the counties. All get basic sum but then supplemented by how many England International players they supply and how many England qualified under a certain age who play in the 1st team. There's also a fixed amount to each county ring fenced for their academy.
Obviously if you attend a public school you enjoy better resources but that's true for all subjects.Coaching, and natural ability, get you so far but after that it's grit and determination. None who current hold key positions, Graves, Silverwood, Giles, Collingwood, Root, Stokes come from elite backgrounds; only one from an elite background in a key position is Strauss, very few would argue with his credentials.
Durham have proved that background is no bar to progression to the top. In the end, Whingeing snowflakes get nowhere

Durham are regularly amongst the best funded of the counties. All get basic sum but then supplemented by how many England International players they supply and how many England qualified under a certain age who play in the 1st team. There's also a fixed amount to each county ring fenced for their academy.
Obviously if you attend a public school you enjoy better resources but that's true for all subjects.Coaching, and natural ability, get you so far but after that it's grit and determination. None who current hold key positions, Graves, Silverwood, Giles, Collingwood, Root, Stokes come from elite backgrounds; only one from an elite background in a key position is Strauss, very few would argue with his credentials.
Durham have proved that background is no bar to progression to the top. In the end, Whingeing snowflakes get nowhere
Both selectors are public school educated along with the new ECB chairman also as well as pretty much everyone on the ECB board bar Graves are too, the names you mention are basically the coach and playing staff and surely in this day and age I don't think anyone is saying you can't make it in this game if your not good enough. The facts do remain though that you aren't given the opportunities and chances to change the game from the top that the elitist's are as well as players having the same facilities to improve if your a player and that is down to the ECB's recruitment and funding policy. You can also look it from the standpoint as well in terms of local level and the way ECB handout funding, premier league teams who generally have the best facilities are prioritised funding or over smaller clubs who are trying to build their clubs and increase junior numbers, one improves a clubs facilities the other does the same but also grows the game. Often the ECB funding criteria for grants also make it impossible for any smaller club to apply for it too, this is not me having ago at them elite local clubs they have worked hard to get there but at a time when we need to increase participation shouldn't it be about growing the game.

The indoor cricket centre at Houghton had these facilities but was grossly underused once the novelty wore off.
No it’s a multi purpose venue for tribute acts and Christmas parties.
Use it or lose it ....... and they lost it

The indoor cricket centre at Houghton had these facilities but was grossly underused once the novelty wore off.
No it’s a multi purpose venue for tribute acts and Christmas parties.
Use it or lose it ....... and they lost it
The uni facilities and the indoor facility at Durham are very well used infact you struggle to get even one off nets now in the winter, I wasnt around for the one at Houghton when it was open so cant comment. Durham Uni is decent, they have more bowling machines than they have nets also have that Merlin one that was created to combat Shane Warne.

The uni facilities and the indoor facility at Durham are very well used infact you struggle to get even one off nets now in the winter, I wasnt around for the one at Houghton when it was open so cant comment. Durham Uni is decent, they have more bowling machines than they have nets also have that Merlin one that was created to combat Shane Warne.
When the McEwans Centre first opened there were 6 a side leagues throughout the winter, which most local clubs entered, but after 3 or 4 years it got used less and less. That’s when it was opened up to other activities (early 90s)

Still think cricket in the north of England still has a strong foothold with working class sports fans. Far less so in other regions of the country.
The local cricket club is still key to keeping cricket healthy in our region and what they rely is volunteers who without the while system folds.

Back