Jimmy ‘Chico’ Hamilton

Morning everyone

Thought this might be of interest - a chat with Jimmy ‘Chico’ Hamilton

Anyone remember seeing him play?

Morning everyone

A really good read, thanks for posting. I must have seen him play a few games, as he was an exciting very young prospect at the time. No clear memories of him though unfortunately, but what players we had in those days.

Saw him score the winner v PNE 4-3, when he was very young. In the RE with my Dad, winner was scored at that end. He was very young 16 or 17.
I was there unbelievable game,he scored the winner If my memory is correct.
Not in this game. We were 3-1 up at half-time (Richie Pitt then a Dennis Tueart brace). PNE pulled it back to 3-3. Hamilton was introduced as sub for Brian Chambers on 80 mins. He scored the winner on 85, attacking the Roker End, where I was standing. Seven goal thriller!
Diving header I think

Last edited:
Yes, scored the winner off the bench as a kid, he was probably our first super sub.

He didn’t really fulfil any promise, there was probably a lot of pressure on him after such a great start.

I was at that game think we were losing 1-3 iirc 🤔
It was the Burnley 4-3, later in the season, in which we came back from 3-1 down.

I was at Jimmy’s debut and after the game when he scored his goal on debut, it was straight to the SAFCSA shop (probably served by George Forster) on the Roker End to get a black n white portrait photo of him, to go with the rest of the squad.

Happy days !

Last edited:
It was the Burnley 4-3, later in the season, in which we came back from 3-1 down.

I was at Jimmy’s debut and after the game when he scored his goal on debut, it was straight to the SAFCSA shop (probably served by George Forster) on the Roker End to get a black n white portrait photo of him, to go with the rest of the squad.

Happy days !
I used to love that shop, went in there as often as I could afford to lol. I remember that Burnley game too, was it Good Friday? I did something that day that i've never done since (apart from Southampton away but we were 7 nil down at the time) and that is I left really early, could have been 20 mins before the end of the match when we were 3 v 1 down. Think we scored as just we got out of the fulwell end and we didn't go back in. It's haunted me to this day :mad:

Morning everyone

Great read that although i cannot remember him, and i was going to the matches then, probably my memory more than anything else.

Morning everyone

That's a great interview. Thanks for posting

Saw him score the winner v PNE 4-3, when he was very young. In the RE with my Dad, winner was scored at that end. He was very young 16 or 17.
I was in the kids enclosure in the Roker End hanging on to the fence in the front row. Not a comfortable way to watch a match and had to get down every now and again. Still remember the header.

I remember games from those days much clearer than games in current times!
He hadnt been on the pitch long when a cross came in from the right wing and he rose like a salmon at the back post to head in the winner at the Roker End.
Was at the Burnley 4-3 too later that season.

Happy days !
I was at the Burnley game too. Only just over 14k attended and there was even less at the PNE game earlier in the season. This time Dave Watson scored two, a collector's item from Keith Coleman and the winner from sub Billy Hughes. Two 4-3 wins in the same campaign, them were the days 😂.

Back