Jason Steele

It can’t have been easy for him. Our place was a circus and the atmosphere and confidence must have been lower than a snakes belly when he arrived. That said, he was absolutely hopeless and that didn’t help his cause.

It can’t have been easy for him. Our place was a circus and the atmosphere and confidence must have been lower than a snakes belly when he arrived. That said, he was absolutely hopeless and that didn’t help his cause.
Tbf neither Middlesbrough nor Blackburn fans had anything good to say about him. We had fans of both laughing when we signed him.

Goalkeeping is such a unique position psychology plays a greater part than any other position imo

Remember as a young lad he was one of the most exciting young keepers in the country but I always got the impression with us his confidence was non existent and he was terrified of making a mistake which as a keeper means you'll end up making more mistakes. I also would say in his defense we had some clowns managing us that season and we were atrocious defensively and I'm not sure any keeper would have looked fantastic in that side. Brighton are very well drilled and the coach knows what he's doing so probably was a good club choice for him even if he has had to be patient however it was only one game if he gets a run In the side be important to see how he reacts to a mistake. Seemed a sound lad like so am actually pleased for him

Goalkeeping is such a unique position psychology plays a greater part than any other position imo

Remember as a young lad he was one of the most exciting young keepers in the country but I always got the impression with us his confidence was non existent and he was terrified of making a mistake which as a keeper means you'll end up making more mistakes. I also would say in his defense we had some clowns managing us that season and we were atrocious defensively and I'm not sure any keeper would have looked fantastic in that side. Brighton are very well drilled and the coach knows what he's doing so probably was a good club choice for him even if he has had to be patient however it was only one game if he gets a run In the side be important to see how he reacts to a mistake. Seemed a sound lad like so am actually pleased for him
Very good post. Some clubs are the right fit at the right time... And some (like us for any young lads and keepers) the absolute opposite! Exactly see if he gets a run and how he reacts to adversity.
Fair play if he comes through and has a good end to his career.

He's played 2 league games in approaching 5 years at Brighton. One of which was a 4-0 win. I don't think he's exactly been tested 😄

The lad must have seriously worked on his game and confidence. Fair play to him. We were all staggered when a Premier League team signed him.

Was never the worst keeper, but was incredibly fragile and as soon as the pressure comes on he becomes irrational. See QPR and Ipswich that season. As soon as something goes wrong at Brighton he’ll go mental again
Remember him being a bit shit in pre season versus Celtic
He was the best out of three poor keepers at the time. Good luck to the lad.
Ruiter

Last edited:

Back