Jason Steele

Mannone, presuming that’s who he was on about.

He asked to leave.
“I didn’t want to leave. Martin Bain wanted to sell me to help save the club. I had some great times at Sunderland and it was disappointing to hear him say our goal was to remain in the championship, it was not what I wanted to hear.”
Vito Mannone. May 2019,

Fine business? Dear God.
Can you not go elsewhere with your purposely antagonistic comments.
It was a stupid, ignorant piece of business that contributed massively to us ending up where we are now.

Not the first time you’ve defended the absolutely indefensible in Bain, one of the most negative and destructive individuals ever associated with SAFC, ditto his Glaswegian mate Moyes. What a pair.

I disagree. Johnstone was available on loan, McClauchlin was available for free wasn't he? I could have played for a fiver a week. All better options than Camp

And to think if we had McLaughlin between the sticks that season we wouldn’t have dropped to this crap division. The fact we spent money on Steele is still baffling to this day.

Lee Camp has since played 90 games at that level, without being relegated. Maybe suggests there were bigger problems than just the keeper, even though many looked like obvious keeper errors.
I disagree. Johnstone was available on loan, McClauchlin was available for free wasn't he? I could have played for a fiver a week. All better options than Camp

Mannone was poor and had a poor season getting dropped at Reading for a kid and they ended up givinghim away iirc. Sure he was better than camp and steele, but we needed to sell. For me we simply had to sell at 2m, high wages and his contract expiring. The fact we spent 500k on Steele, brought in Ruiter on a bosman and then Camp on loan meant there were actual resources to sign a decent keeper, we just got the replacement badly wrong.

Last edited:
“I didn’t want to leave. Martin Bain wanted to sell me to help save the club. I had some great times at Sunderland and it was disappointing to hear him say our goal was to remain in the championship, it was not what I wanted to hear.”
Vito Mannone. May 2019,

Not the story I heard internally.

Fine business? Dear God.
Can you not go elsewhere with your purposely antagonistic comments.
It was a stupid, ignorant piece of business that contributed massively to us ending up where we are now.

Not the first time you’ve defended the absolutely indefensible in Bain, one of the most negative and destructive individuals ever associated with SAFC, ditto his Glaswegian mate Moyes. What a pair.

Wanted to leave, was shite and last year of his contract. To get 2m for Mannone was good business. The problem like I say was signing that trio of idiots. There are plenty of Championship keepers better than Mannone available for less than 2m. McLaughlin for one.

Who is McClauchlin?
Selling Mannone was ridiculous. How much do you think we paid in signing on fees and
contracts for Ruiter, Steele and Camp?
More than they got for Vito that’s for certain. Idiotic.

Who is McClauchlin?
Selling Mannone was ridiculous. How much do you think we paid in signing on fees and

Mannone was on decent money too or does that not count given you're now adding in wages for three keepers? No way the total cost for all them would have cost 2m plus Mannones wages. Mannone was also out of contract at the end of that season, so a club with critical finances would have been f***ing stupid to keep on paying big wages, whilst turning down 2m.

Mannone himself was absolute shit that season and lost his place at struggling Reading to an untested kid, selling him was a sensible thing to do. Replacing him with crap, whilst keeping the likes of Jones and O'shea and bringing in Galloway, Browning, Wilson and paying 900k for Vaughan were poor choices.

Mannone was on decent money too or does that not count given you're now adding in wages for three keepers? No way the total cost for all them would have cost 2m plus Mannones wages. Mannone was also out of contract at the end of that season, so a club with critical finances would have been f***ing stupid to keep on paying big wages, whilst turning down 2m.

Mannone himself was absolute shit that season and lost his place at struggling Reading to an untested kid, selling him was a sensible thing to do. Replacing him with crap, whilst keeping the likes of Jones and O'shea and bringing in Galloway, Browning, Wilson and paying 900k for Vaughan were poor choices.
We never paid 900k for Vaughan man! Surely to God....?

I liked Mannone but that deal was a decent one for us just our recruitment yet again let us down badly, Ruiter was an okay backup but the gruesome twosome who's stock had never been very high were never going to work out here, I don't recall any posts rejoicing when we signed them or any positivity whatsoever regarding them?

Just had a quick Google and it was undisclosed thought to be around 500k for JV, still too much!

Last edited:
Not even our worst keeper in the last 20 years.

the fact that we're so spoilt for choice...

i bet he's dead proud to be considered 'not the worst we've had in 20 years'
Who is McClauchlin?

we replaced mannone with pantilimon didn't we? maybe mannone outlasted him in the end not sure, it's just blended into some god awful horrorshow in my mind

Last edited:

Despite how shit the whole season was, a decent keeper would have prevented us from being relegated.
We sold a competent keeper In Mannone and signed three very poor custodians trying to replace him. Bain took credit for selling him, thinking he got a good deal, but it was another shining example of that charlatans ineptness.
Dress it up anyway you want, that’s a fact.

Last edited:

Back