Jason Steele

Despite how shit the whole season was, a decent keeper would have prevented us from being relegated.
We sold a competent keeper In Mannone and signed three very poor custodians trying to replace him. Bain took credit for selling him, thinking he got a good deal, but it was another shining example of that charlatans ineptness.
Dress it up anyway you want, that’s a fact.

A decent keeper wouldn't have saved us from relegation IMO, we were just too weak and shit at the back and in the centre of the team, including goalkeeper. Everyone points to clear goalkeeping errors and uses that, without looking at what led to those situations and the keepers being drained to that level. It was more than just a keeper being at fault and as shit as Camp was he's played mostly at that level for 15 years and two years after we were relegated. We were horrendous at the back, and woefully weak and slow in the spine of the team.

Mannone was dropped by Reading that season and wasn't decent, which is part of the point. He's always been a bit nervy himself and never really been a sound keeper so with the pressure on he might well have crumbled in the same manner, just as Oviedo, Jones, O'shea etcs performances didn't rise with the drop in levels. Dropped by Reading who finished two places above relegation, he only got back into the team because of an injury to his deputy who was a kid. Lee Camp finished as high and higher in his last two seasons with Brum.

Selling for 2m was the right thing, replacing with who we did wasn't - we made too many shit signings in goal, at centre back, left back, centre midfield etc.
We never paid 900k for Vaughan man! Surely to God....?

I liked Mannone but that deal was a decent one for us just our recruitment yet again let us down badly, Ruiter was an okay backup but the gruesome twosome who's stock had never been very high were never going to work out here, I don't recall any posts rejoicing when we signed them or any positivity whatsoever regarding them?

Just had a quick Google and it was undisclosed thought to be around 500k for JV, still too much!

Think it was initially reported at 900k, but latterly at 500k. Maybe some was based on appearances etc as that was seemingly the way we were doing business at the time.

I don't think there was any positivity at all with Steele. With Camp I think many of us thought we had signed an experienced keeper to get us through, it was only when we saw the performances any kind of positivity drained.

Last edited:

Back