January voting thread - Contre Jour

January 2011 - Picture of the month

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm pretty chuffed that my first ever entry did so well ! Just opened my bedroom curtains one morning and saw exactly what you see in the pic !! :-D

Completely forgot about this and ... hey i got two votes and a couple of nice comments - thank you :-D

How do you vote in these competitions is it by posting comment or when the poll is active? Also what are the a) b) c) categories in various comments? cheers.

Last edited:
Completely forgot about this and ... hey i got two votes and a couple of nice comments - thank you :-D

How do you vote in these competitions is it by posting comment or when the poll is active? Also what are the a) b) c) categories in various comments? cheers.

You need to vote while the poll is active - 7 days from the competition closing.

The a) b) & c) categories were to do with the voting criteria that peachbum used:

Well I shall try to critique vote according to the criteria laid out as per ABEasyTiger22. Quite a lot of entries this month and some new people, so as ever, please all, take my comments in good faith.:) (CJ = contre jour)

I am going to judge on three aspects
a) does the photograph meet the challenge set
b) how well does it meet CJ
c) is the photograph a pleasing picture to look at in itself

Your critique of the entries would still be most welcome even though the poll has closed.

You need to vote while the poll is active - 7 days from the competition closing.

The a) b) & c) categories were to do with the voting criteria that peachbum used:

Your critique of the entries would still be most welcome even though the poll has closed.

Cheers for the reply/info :-D

My view of some.. apologies if i skipped over you.

Les the scientist: brill setting and a nic pic but not quite a brill photo.

Clyde very striking and technically good. I would be pleased with it but must admit i have seen quite a lot that are similar.

grrwoofwoofgrowl - i know how difficult that could be to take so well done .

tom tom macute - lovely setting, very atmospheric not quite convinced the framing is making the most of it, maybe too much foreground without an interesting feature.

MaCKeM- nice photo but composition, i feel a bit frustrated that there are 3 people in the distance who are only half visible.

Peachbum - very striking, possibly my favourite. A definite VOTE. i guess it wasn't taken down at seaburn! To my mind it would have been nice to see something of the actual head on the left as you can with the other two.

Hue Jorgan, my other favourite. Another VOTE.

Phil . should have put more effort in and got a decent pic - stuff the fact that you were cold :lol:

Icarebecauseyoudo. very professional and intriguing with the person top left.
VOTE

Not Spavin. I like it, nicely staged but can't make my mind up about the sharpness/depth of field of it

Taipeisafc. amazing setting well chosen - some doubts about best framing and also verticals not quite vertical which detracted from it for me

Cartman. Very professional and much to admire, framing, foreground interest, exposure. A VOTE but for some reason it doesn't quite grab me - maybe reminds me too much of a cover shot from a photo mag maybe the colour.

Amnorrageordie. so close to being amazing, back to the drawing board!

Andy M . I like it , quite futuristic in a strange sort of way. A VOTE

Thanks Phil! :)
Good of you to comment on the pictures after the vote has closed.

Oh and I took the picture as I did to show I could do a silhouette (left) and use the backlight to show detail ie the ears are slightly lit (middle). Can't win, you wanted all light, some wanted all silouette, some like the detail! :)

Oh and I took the picture as I did to show I could do a silhouette (left) and use the backlight to show detail ie the ears are slightly lit (middle). Can't win, you wanted all light, some wanted all silouette, some like the detail! :)

LOL you certainly can't please everyone. TBH getting an endorsement from me or vice versa is probably totally meaningless as i have no claim to any photographic skills at all :lol:

Taipeisafc. amazing setting well chosen - some doubts about best framing and also verticals not quite vertical which detracted from it for me

I agree with this, I don't think I really did the setting justice and there is definately some out of kilter verticals. I was actually going to enter this :-

Logon or register to see this image

And changed at the last minute mainly because I didn't like the distortion on the chimney to the left and couldn't be arsed to fix it - hindsight suggest I got it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back