January voting thread - Contre Jour

January 2011 - Picture of the month

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to clarify, there was indeed a floodlight directly behind the train on my shot,

I wouldn't normally say owt to justify meeting the theme but after reading peachbum's comments I thought this was worth mentioning incase anybody had any doubts...
I knew I'd get shot down in flames! :) Sorry Andy.

I called it as I saw it.

wow, these pictures are really good! i totally forgot about this till i saw the voting thread in new posts. i wanted to give it a go aswell but have had a busy month.

anyway, last year i limited myself to one vote per month, and have decided this year i will vote for any picture that stands out to me...meaning i have voted for 7 this month! :lol: talk about from one extreme to the other!!

my overall favourite picture was by hue jorgan. absolutely loved it!

My comments, for what they’re worth…(sorry it's so long)

Andrewcoates77
Met the theme well, and an appealing atmospheric result. The sky looks great, and the lack of detail on the horizon avoids overcomplicating the effect. Being critical, I’d prefer the horizon lower to capture a bit more of that nice deep blue sky at the top, and to take the sun away from the centre.

Les The Scientist
Really like this – great mood, and the fence leads the eye nicely to the sun. I’m a fan of colour photos that are almost monochromatic like this. Got one of my two votes. Perhaps would have been even better from a different position on the ground, and I’d have preferred the horizon less central (and maybe the sun too), but first rate for atmosphere and meeting the criteria.

Clyde
An innovative and technically brilliant shot (and beyond my capability too), but I’m perhaps too much of a traditionalist and it didn’t really talk to me I’m afraid. Met the theme well though.

Grwoofwoofgrowl
Sorry, but I don’t think it met the theme enough. Nice photo though.

Minix2
Is it the opposite of the theme – contre nuit?

Tomtommacoute
My other vote winner. Love the barely exposed foreground, gently back lit (meeting the theme well) – it makes me want to tramp over the field to see what’s over the horizon, like the fella standing there. Plus the simple strong image of the trees nicely balancing the strength of the sun opposite. Composition works really well for me.

MaDMaCKeM
Nice mood, met the theme, but personally thought it was a bit too complicated as a composition. Would have been stronger perhaps if you’d narrowed it down and picked out one tree or element to focus on rather than the wider scene, and maybe lower down to capture more of the texture on the ground and dramatise perspective.

Peachbum
Nice almost monochromatic effect and subtle mood, the figures silhoutted but with a touch of shadow detail here and there to add depth. Lovely composition too. Close to getting my vote, but probably just missed because I’m not a big fan of staged photography – very subjective I realise, sorry!

Dsorco
Great photo with wonderful lighting and detail. The kind of photo you could look at for ages. Met the theme reasonably well. Perhaps could be improved by cropping about a fifth off the right hand side. Just missed my vote too.

Hue Jorgan
Really liked this, another that just missed my vote. Not 100% sure it meets my interpretation of the theme, since the light source isn’t directly coming at the camera (it's aimed at the stage really), but a great shot that captures a moment brilliantly.

Phil
Interesting, meets the theme, nice mood. Maybe just a bit too abstract, and the composition doesn’t quite work for me either.

Icarebecauseyoudo (or rather his mate)
Technically great, meets the theme well, not quite as keen on the composition – maybe better from a different viewpoint, perhaps closer to the searchlight (I assume that’s the thing in the left hand corner) to be able to see it better? Subjective of course.

Ghost of EH7
Nice pop art kind of feel, meets the theme (I think). Not keen on the vignetting in the corners which detracts from the crispness of the image.

Iain Hesford’s Bait Box
Didn’t meet the theme for me. Like the eeriness to a degree, but a bit disturbing somehow. Not a photo you’d want on the wall!

Janiep
Nicely exposed and meets the theme, but I think the composition is too complicated. A small detail of the bandstand ironwork against the sun might have done the job. Also, I don’t mind a bit of lens flare personally as it can add atmosphere though in this case it is verging on being intrusive.

ThankHeavenforShed7
Meets the theme, nicely lit and atmospheric, but perhaps there’s a bit too much going on for my tastes. Maybe using the pattern on the ground (footprints?) more simply without the tree would have worked better, or just the tree, but the various elements didn’t hold together enough for me.

Not spavin
This made me laugh, which is always good. It’s really well put together and the highlights in the ‘hair’ from the backlighting is a great example of contre jour at work. However, as commented elsewhere, I’m just not a fan of staged (pardon the pun) photography like this….it lacks the ‘moment’ if you know what I mean. But I almost voted for it for all the other reasons above.

Taipeisafc
Lovely atmospheric industrial shot, but for me the composition was too complex and lacked a focal point, and the shadow detail in the foreground isn’t enough to actually help you see what’s there.

Cartman
A bit too post-processed for my liking in the colours (or appears to be), but certainly captures a romantic mood: it invites you into the picture to pick up pebbles and stare out to sea. Don’t think it meets the theme particularly well though.

Amnorrageordie
Great attempt at a difficult technique (I don’t know how you could be arsed to set it up though!) but unfortunately it lacks detail in the area you want there to be some (where the bottle breaks). Meets the theme well though.

Andy M
Just to join in the debate about whether this meets the theme, it does and doesn’t for me! Some of it is contre-jour, but there are numerous lightsources in the photo and the subject is only partly lit from behind. I’d give you the benefit of the doubt though, as the main subject (the train) certainly is. Otherwise, a nicely exposed atmospheric scene, perhaps a little too much going on though.

General comments – hope you don’t mind some of this sounding too critical, but it’s difficult to get views across if you pussyfoot around too much. Hope some of it is useful. I think a lot of it is just down to ‘what I like’ rather than an objective critique, so I’m perfectly happy if anyone wants to disagree. I could pick a lot of holes in my submission too for what it’s worth. All in all, for what is my first involvement in the competition, I’ve got to say I’ve really enjoyed it and hope to learn a lot from it over the coming months. Cheers.

My comments, for what they’re worth…(sorry it's so long)

Peachbum
Nice almost monochromatic effect and subtle mood, the figures silhoutted but with a touch of shadow detail here and there to add depth. Lovely composition too. Close to getting my vote, but probably just missed because I’m not a big fan of staged photography – very subjective I realise, sorry!

Ghost of EH7
Nice pop art kind of feel, meets the theme (I think). Not keen on the vignetting in the corners which detracts from the crispness of the image.

Thank you Great Soprendo. I enjoyed reading your comments, and to see where we agreed and disagreed.

Just a bit about the bolded bit. I think Ghost of EH7 used a camera on a mobile phone?? We weren't meant to comment on equipment, and the vignetting is probably because the camera is a mobile phone camera?:?:

OK, my votes are in.

Some constructive criticism of the entries, please take this in the spirit it's meant, we're all trying to improve as photographers and hopefully the feedback we get will help that.

andrewcoates77: The sun could have done with being on a third and I'd like to have seen some other point of interest

Les the Scientist: Composition is a bit sun centric but I love the atmosphere of the shot and the lead in line of the fence posts VOTE

clyde: The figure is too central for me and I think I've just seen too many of these. Just OK

grrwoofwoofgrowl: Decent picture of a starling but I don't think it met the theme

mini-x2: Maybe I'm getting old but I don't "get it"

tom tom macute: Not too much wrong with this, decent composition with the figure to give a sense of scale, but it just didn't do anything for me. A bit of foreground interest maybe?

MaDMaCkeM: I like this, I like the way the shadows work and the composition works for me. I meant to vote for it but messed up, I'm sure Ghost of EH7 will vote for it to make up.

peachbum: something different and I like it. Although it's supposed to be a silhouette we can see some detail in the centre figure, which I think enhances it. VOTE

ds0rco: Not much wrong except no point of interest, didn't grab my attention

Hue Jorgan: This one just works for me and is my photo of the month.

phil: Loved the imagination in this shot and its slightly abstract nature VOTE

Subhi Alghussein: Should have been shot of the month as there's so much right with it. Unfortunately my eyes aren't what they were and this is SMALL, far too small to appreciate properly

Ghost of EH7. Now if this had been any good it, too, could have been shot of the month, however it's crap, almost as if it were taken during a drunken afternoon on the patio. :oops:

Ian Hesford's Bait Box: I don't think this met the theme, the figure is also too central, I'm not quite sure where I'm supposed to be looking.

janiep: Sorry to harp on about thirds, but if you'd used the photographer's most important tool (your legs) and stepped back a bit, this could have been framed much better by putting the structure on a third. Also the closest support to the camera seems to have had its bottom chopped off. Otherwise, a good idea.

The Great Soprendo: Composition is a bit iffy and the road name distracts a bit. However the shot id very atmospheric and meets the theme. VOTE

ThankHeavenForShed7: Not much wrong with this, but some point of interest might have worked better

not spavin: Good imagination and well executed. VOTE

taipeisafc: I can almost smell China in this picture VOTE

Cartman: Lovely picture but I don't think it met the theme so can't vote for it. It would look good on my wall though, well composed with some good foreground detail.

Amnorrageordie: I like the imagination that's gone into this. Although it's a bit blown out it meets the theme very well VOTE

andy m: A nice photograph that captures an industrial theme very well, it just didn't do anything for me. Maybe I'm a steam engine man.

OK, my votes are in.

MaDMaCkeM: I like this, I like the way the shadows work and the composition works for me. I meant to vote for it but messed up, I'm sure Ghost of EH7 will vote for it to make up.

:roll:

Just a bit about the bolded bit. I think Ghost of EH7 used a camera on a mobile phone?? We weren't meant to comment on equipment, and the vignetting is probably because the camera is a mobile phone camera?:?:

Yes, it was taken using the Infinicam app for the iPhone **Ihave an iPhone** (just in case Dirty Bristow's reading this), so I knew it was stylised from the beginning. It really was just a grab shot during a drunken afternoon on the patio.

ThankHeavenForShed7: Not much wrong with this, but some point of interest might have worked better

Can't argue with that. Like I've mentioned, this was meant to be a test shot but the weather foiled my plans.

For what it's worth, here are my C&C's. Please take it in the spirit intended.

andrewcoates77 - A pleasant image but there's not enough going on for me. Unless you really nail a really striking sunset these kind of shots really need a strong and distinctive silhouette.

Les the Scientist - Same as above really. I like the lead-in line.

Clyde - As mentioned already in the thread, a nice clean, bold image. Vote

grrwoofwoofgrowl - Nice wildlife shot, good depth of field, but doesn't really meet the theme. It also makes things difficult with an overcast sky like that.

mini-x2 - I have no idea what is going on but I appreciate the thinking outside of the box!

tom tom macute - I like the tones and the composition here. I can't find much fault but I just think there are stronger images this month.

MaDMaCKeM - I love the shadows thrown down by the trees, the colours and the contrast. The only thing I feel is missing is a clear subject.

peachbum - A really cool and creative idea. I'm going to have to disagree with the Tiger though - I really wish it was a bold silhouette against a strong background. I think that might just be me though. I love really bold, clean images.

ds0rco - This is a really beautiful scene and I love how the light is shining down on that one section of the ground. On the downside, the sky is a little blown out and the light from the sun is bleaching across the picture. With a more careful exposure this could be really good.

Hue Jorgan - Shot of the month for me. Really strong and bold, great colours and a great exposure. I also like the fact that it's different and really stands out from the crowd.

phil - I like this shot a lot. I've been trying to take this kind of shot for a while with no success. The only reason I didn't give it a vote is that the light seems a bit blown out. An integral element of Contre Jour is handling the fact that you're shooting directly in to the source of light and I think you haven't quite handled it well enough for a vote. Still love the shot though.

Icarebecauseyoudo's mate Subhi Alghussein - Cracking shot. Not sure that it 100% meets the themes.

Ghost of EH7 - Not bad for a pissed camera phone shot!

Iain Hesford's Bait Box - Interesting shot. Not sure about the composition though.

janiep - I agree 100% with the Tiger on this one.

The Great Soprendo - I like the idea. I also like Double Maxim. I just wish the detail 'poppod' a bit more. Might just be my taste.

not spavin - Really like this shot. Great idea perfectly executed. The only thing is that it reminds me of your January shot last year.

taipeisafc - Not sure what the subject is or where I should be looking. I like the industrial feel though.

Cartman - Lovely shot, not sure it meets the theme.

Amnorrageordie - Brilliant idea, almost really well executed. I just think it's a bit too blown out of you pardon the pun!

andy m - Bold, striking and love the industrial feel. Vote.

Excellent month all round in my opinion. I'm enjoying the new format for the monthly themes and I reckon we're going to get an even better competition this year.

Thank you Great Soprendo. I enjoyed reading your comments, and to see where we agreed and disagreed.

Cheers. I enjoyed your comments too. I wasn't aware that EH7 used a camera phone which does change things. One the subject of equipment used, my view is that it would be good to know what everyone's used, because it helps to understand what they've done (as part of the educational side of the competition). I'm not sure a camera phone would necessarily vignette like that mind, and to me it looks like it's been taken on film, going by the edges (or has that just been added in after?).

Cheers. I enjoyed your comments too. I wasn't aware that EH7 used a camera phone which does change things. One the subject of equipment used, my view is that it would be good to know what everyone's used, because it helps to understand what they've done (as part of the educational side of the competition). I'm not sure a camera phone would necessarily vignette like that mind, and to me it looks like it's been taken on film, going by the edges (or has that just been added in after?).

Yes, it was my camera phone, using the Infinicam app

As impressed with the quality of the comments as much as the quality of the photographs.

Voted for four with my favourite being The Great Soprendo with conveys an atmosphere of a foggy Victorian London and a lurking Jack the Ripper.

I voted for the Great Soprendo as I really liked the composition and lighting. Although I am not sure how well it meets the theme - to my mind there are a few in there which don't really meet the theme. At least this month won't be a problem as pretty much anything will be bang on theme. As usual I cannot see them all but rather than not vote I thought I would vote on what I was (apologise to Peachbum, janiep and others whose photos I cannot view).

I voted for the Great Soprendo as I really liked the composition and lighting. Although I am not sure how well it meets the theme - to my mind there are a few in there which don't really meet the theme. At least this month won't be a problem as pretty much anything will be bang on theme. As usual I cannot see them all but rather than not vote I thought I would vote on what I was (apologise to Peachbum, janiep and others whose photos I cannot view).

Thank you for your vote! I kind of agree, it's definitely not a traditional contre jour shot but it does meet the main criterion I think in that the camera was pointed directly towards the source of light, but without the typical contre jour effect. Subjective of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back