James McConnell

We were actively touting young players around for sale. We sent 3 lads on an extended trial to Liverpool so that Liverpool could decide whether they wanted to sign any of them.

They signed 2, but Harrison Jones ended up wanting to stay here.
Getin Jonesy lad! Bet Donald was fuming.

Tried to implicate him in the kidnapping plot as a result iirc.
Donald: "Harrison, I hear you turned down Liverpool as you want to stay here and become a Sunderland legend, wtf is this all about"?

Harrison: "yeah, good news eh"?

Donald: "fuckin worse news possible I could have got £200k for you, if you don't change your mind I'm going to make up a kidnapping story and mention your name. BTW - you don't know any tradesman who would be prepared to do some work on the AOL in exchange for a ride on lawn mower do you?"

I know, bad like. They made about 2 million quid, possibly more, selling off our youngens, Stephenson, Hugill, Mumba, Greenwood, there's another 4 or 5 I think.

We got mare for Toby Bell.
Totally different approach now. Under Donald we were happy to allow anyone to leave. Now we play hard ball. Look at Okoronkwo who went to Everton we got about £1m for him. The stance the club have with Cotcher, we will be demanding top fee for him

Back