Jack Clarke - Signed

No way would I pay £3.5m for him. Not a chance.

On amortisation principle that would be £14m. They paid £10m so £2.5m would see them get their money back.

And then you have to take into account if he remains the prospect he was at the time.

On amortisation principle that would be £14m. They paid £10m so £2.5m would see them get their money back.

And then you have to take into account if he remains the prospect he was at the time.
£10m would see them get their money back.
Yes asset book value would be less in a standard business but that’s not really how football operates.

Don't think anybody thought Rodwell was a bad signing at the time
Never said anyone did, the original point was about looking to sign young players who haven't quite made PL squads and Rodwell wasn't that type of signing. He'd already made plenty of appearances for Everton and Man City.

not sure they would as he isn't homegrown
Burnley got compo for Danny ings, even though he didn't sign for them until he was 19....

In April 2016, the PFCC handed down its award in respect of the compensation payable to Burnley for its training and development of Danny Ings during the four years he spent with the club. The PFCC awarded Burnley the guaranteed net sum £6.5m, a further £1.5m in contingent sums based on appearances and a 20% sell-on fee. At nearly twice the guaranteed sum awarded in respect of Daniel Sturridge, the decision constituted the highest sum ever awarded to a club for its training and development of a player following the expiry of his contract.

Better than Gyan, Welbeck, Bent and Henderson, or Jones, Cisse, Steed and Reid?
Gyan, Welbeck & Bent was as good as it got for me, outside SNQ / Phillips. We’ve had a couple of good goal scorers (eg Ross Stewart) but not had a strikeforce who all offered something different since that season IMO

Don't think anybody thought Rodwell was a bad signing at the time

I did.

Said at the time it was madness to spent that sort of money on a player like Rodwell when we had been crying out for a creative CM. It was an issue for years and years during our time at PL level and was rarely addressed. Rodwell certainty wasn't going to change that.

I was never a fan of him at all even during his time at Everton and City.

Not really considering he's coming from the PL, plus I would be shocked if other clubs are not looking at him..

He’s hardly set the Championship alight and was only steady away in most games for us last season in League One too.

Cirkin came from the PL. So did Roberts.

I sort of see your point though. They won’t want a 10m loss on the books.
They signed him for £10m though and he's only 21. There will most definitely be other teams interested and the fee will likely be based on appearances etc. He'd be a fantastic signing.

Has age on his side no doubt. Not exactly a proven player at Championship level (Stoke fans didn’t think a lot of him?) but he could step up under the right conditions and a manager who shows some faith in him like Neil.

Last edited by a moderator:

I’ve never understood this view on transfers.

We don’t know what the budget is, but I doubt it would be spunked on one player and who’s to say we can’t help him fulfil his potential so he’s worth five times that amount?

Also, is £3.5m a lot of money for a young player with potential? I don’t think so, personally.

Last edited:
Gyan, Welbeck & Bent was as good as it got for me, outside SNQ / Phillips. We’ve had a couple of good goal scorers (eg Ross Stewart) but not had a strikeforce who all offered something different since that season IMO

Couldn't understand bringing in Welbeck given we had Waghorn needing game time. Parts of that season, he was as good as at any point in his career.

Gyan was entertaining to watch warm up, let alone play and Bent was fast as lightning and had the opposition looking to drop 10 yards. Were good times looking back.

He’s hardly set the Championship alight and was only steady away in most games for us last season in League One too.

Cirkin came from the PL. So did Roberts.

I sort of see your point though. They won’t want a 10m loss on the books.

Has age on his side no doubt. Not exactly a proven player at Championship level (Stoke fans didn’t think a lot of him?) but he could step up under the right conditions and a manager who shows some faith in him like Neil.

Leeds fans did though and we have the benefit of knowing what he can do so the risk is reduced. He's a class player imo and more than capable of playing in the Championship. He can go a lot further if he continues to develop, the talent's there.

I know its about potential as well as current but was he really THAT good for us?

There was alot of looking dangerous without producing anything actually dangerous.

I’ve never understood this view on transfers.

We don’t know what the budget is, but I doubt it would be spunked on one player and who’s to say we can’t help him fulfil his potential so he’s worth five times that amount?

Also, is £3.5m a lot of money for a young player with potential? I don’t think so, personally.
Maybe it will be like 1.5/2m with add ons & but back clause etc

I know its about potential as well as current but was he really THAT good for us?

There was alot of looking dangerous without producing anything actually dangerous.
I think he needs to use his left foot more instead of trying to cut in more.

Id swap him and roberts more in games too but what do I know! :)

Potential is there though imho.

play off semi final has definitely romanced how good he was slightly, I'd still have him here though
I slated him every game all the way up till that Sheff wed away, but that performance shows what he COULD be like. What a performance that was. Got us out of the shit numerous times by getting us up the pitch 60/70 yards just by gliding past players. Was very impressive. Brian Mooneyesque...🤪

Maybe it will be like 1.5/2m with add ons & but back clause etc
That sounds about right. Potential is good, but it comes with risk - it might not be fully realised. At least he's been here so the coaches have a good understanding of whether it's worth the risk.

Sure its just players under 23 who are out of contract and you offered the same terms again.

Hes also been there years, might even class as homegrown at spurs in PL registration. Usually have to be at a club 3 years before 21.
Been there since just before his 19th birthday and will never play a single game for them. Tough for them to claim they’ve developed him much. Also he turns 23 shortly after his deal expires so you’d imagine that would impact any compensation. It’s a difficult one to second guess but I doubt they’d get a huge amount.

Back