Jack Campbell

I'd like to see him back here. He might come back if asked now he'd be under a different coach.
I am sure he would come back, "if he is asked". He has been released by 3 different coaches now.
He has 1 first class wicket at an average of 278 !
He did not play one first team game in 2023.
Who would ask him ?

There is a reason you get released once, let alone twice. Full of potential, has to be work ethic or behaviour issues

I played with Jack for a couple years when he was at CLS Cc and still remain in contact with him a little bit here and there to see how he’s doing. He is one of the nicest and caring lads you’ll meet and really helped out when any lads wanted any advice. So it really makes me angry when I see comments like this on these sort of sites about him when people don’t have the slightest clue what’s gone on or what has happened to someone. First of all I can tell you, Jack was never on the academy at Hampshire so was never released in the first place. So therefore not sure how you have come up with him being released twice. He made the decision when he was at end of the end of college to go to Durham Uni and subsequently got offered a deal with Durham that summer as he knew he wouldn’t get opportunities at Hampshire 2nd xi during that time.

My second hate is when you say stuff to do with work ethic or bad behaviour. I’m guessing you’ll all be referring to what happened when Jack asked to leave Durham. He told me a lot about that as I was sad to see him leave. There were a lot of rumours made up to make Jack look bad however they were just to cover up some of the behaviour of the head coach that made Jacks life extremely hard - I won’t get into all the facts as it’s not my place to tell them but it’s extremely unfair to make stuff up when it was down to a certain head coach behaviours. (I think everyone now knows from a lot of the other players speaking recently about that head coach and just what he was actually like). I do think maybe people need to stop assuming things for once and maybe try to find out the truth before they gossip online.

Finally, I spoke to Jack not so long ago actually to check in on his injury when I saw Hampshire put a tweet up about it as he had been ruled out for most of the season due to an injury and had unfortunately been told that he had not been offered a new contract due to Hampshires finance. Nothing else.

If people actually knew Jack, they’d realise he’s an extremely likeable lad, who’s hard working, but has just been extremely unlucky with injuries and having a coach who made his life extremely horrible and prevented him from any opportunities.

I played with Jack for a couple years when he was at CLS Cc and still remain in contact with him a little bit here and there to see how he’s doing. He is one of the nicest and caring lads you’ll meet and really helped out when any lads wanted any advice. So it really makes me angry when I see comments like this on these sort of sites about him when people don’t have the slightest clue what’s gone on or what has happened to someone. First of all I can tell you, Jack was never on the academy at Hampshire so was never released in the first place. So therefore not sure how you have come up with him being released twice. He made the decision when he was at end of the end of college to go to Durham Uni and subsequently got offered a deal with Durham that summer as he knew he wouldn’t get opportunities at Hampshire 2nd xi during that time.

My second hate is when you say stuff to do with work ethic or bad behaviour. I’m guessing you’ll all be referring to what happened when Jack asked to leave Durham. He told me a lot about that as I was sad to see him leave. There were a lot of rumours made up to make Jack look bad however they were just to cover up some of the behaviour of the head coach that made Jacks life extremely hard - I won’t get into all the facts as it’s not my place to tell them but it’s extremely unfair to make stuff up when it was down to a certain head coach behaviours. (I think everyone now knows from a lot of the other players speaking recently about that head coach and just what he was actually like). I do think maybe people need to stop assuming things for once and maybe try to find out the truth before they gossip online.

Finally, I spoke to Jack not so long ago actually to check in on his injury when I saw Hampshire put a tweet up about it as he had been ruled out for most of the season due to an injury and had unfortunately been told that he had not been offered a new contract due to Hampshires finance. Nothing else.

If people actually knew Jack, they’d realise he’s an extremely likeable lad, who’s hard working, but has just been extremely unlucky with injuries and having a coach who made his life extremely horrible and prevented him from any opportunities.
Thanks,obviously through knowing him personally you have provided a true character reference. At 24, and presumably, with a degree,he'd be sensibly looking to develop a career outside cricket.If not, nothing lost by offering him a few early season trial games.

Thanks,obviously through knowing him personally you have provided a true character reference. At 24, and presumably, with a degree,he'd be sensibly looking to develop a career outside cricket.If not, nothing lost by offering him a few early season trial games.
potentially yes, however I’m sure a lot of bowlers don’t come into their own until mid-to-late 20s unless I’m wrong? He was named in the team of the season last year in the 50 over comp which obviously shows he’s got the talent. Maybe just needs a season of being fully fit, a bit of opportunity and backing.

Reading that post about "players get released for a reason" did make me thing a certain durham legend got released at 20(?) And im pretty sure we have no complaints about him going on to take the most wickets for dccc

Reading that post about "players get released for a reason" did make me thing a certain durham legend got released at 20(?) And im pretty sure we have no complaints about him going on to take the most wickets for dccc
Yep agreed. Having read stuff posted on here for a long time now it’s very obvious that people are very quick to call out people or make up stuff.

As you mention Chris Rushworth got released. Ben Raine also…. Luke Wells another name that screams out to me. Not good enough in white ball, released now played in the 100. Sure there’s been many people who have gone on after being released. Just like the 3 young lads who got announced yesterday, I’m sure they won’t feel their careers are done and even if they join Durham again in a couple years no problem with that.

Spot on this and as I have posted so many times, the previous coach wasn't well liked by anyone. Good luck to Jack whatever the future holds for him.
I was a fan of him from what i saw when he played for Durham, was disappointed to see him leave as he looked like he had a lot of potential.

Same. Did well that year we got to the final, bags of potential.

Yep agreed. Having read stuff posted on here for a long time now it’s very obvious that people are very quick to call out people or make up stuff.

As you mention Chris Rushworth got released. Ben Raine also…. Luke Wells another name that screams out to me. Not good enough in white ball, released now played in the 100. Sure there’s been many people who have gone on after being released. Just like the 3 young lads who got announced yesterday, I’m sure they won’t feel their careers are done and even if they join Durham again in a couple years no problem with that.
Doneathy especially seemed to have already proven himself with persevering with. Not all progress is linear, MacAlindon looked very promising last year but not so this year, but I'm confident he still had a great chance of making a career in the game, and all the three released lads can do too

Doneathy especially seemed to have already proven himself with persevering with. Not all progress is linear, MacAlindon looked very promising last year but not so this year, but I'm confident he still had a great chance of making a career in the game, and all the three released lads can do too
Yep agreed. However when a club is promoted I guess it’s only normal for a few players to make way as the club will be looking to sign a few bigger name players you’d have thought to first of all stay in the division but then look at trying to fight for the title.

Agree with MacAlindon, he looks good. Didn’t he struggle with injuries this year or back end of last year so maybe just affecting his action a bit?
I do think Gibson is one who might struggle soon. He’s had ample opportunities but has struggled it seems especially when someone like Luke Robinson has done well
@badger55 what’s your thoughts now?

Last edited:
Yep agreed. However when a club is promoted I guess it’s only normal for a few players to make way as the club will be looking to sign a few bigger name players you’d have thought to first of all stay in the division but then look at trying to fight for the title.

Agree with MacAlindon, he looks good. Didn’t he struggle with injuries this year or back end of last year so maybe just affecting his action a bit?
I do think Gibson is one who might struggle soon. He’s had ample opportunities but has struggled it seems especially when someone like Luke Robinson has done well
Yeah, similar to the earlier mentioned ben raine. Just unlucky we were a very strong side when he left otherwise he'd have played alot more no doubt

MacAlindon had a bad injury just before the end of last season as i remember and didnt return until (sometime during?) this and couldn't really find his form in the seconds

@badger55 what’s your thoughts now?
re McAlinden - looks good, can bowl a good ball but struggles with line and length and getting all the moving part working together consistently ....... I can remember a certain IT Botham saying something similar about Harmy when he was working for Sky. Also North has spoken warmly about him in when he's been on the radio commentary so I reckon he's worth persevering with.

I thought he was worth persevering with because he was crazy tall like 6'9" and a left armer which would be a powerful combination if he could have tightened up his line and length and found another yard of pace. I presume the injuries were a barrier to the latter.

I thought he was worth persevering with because he was crazy tall like 6'9" and a left armer which would be a powerful combination if he could have tightened up his line and length and found another yard of pace. I presume the injuries were a barrier to the latter.
Pop Welch worked with him and had him bowling with a more upright and higher action. Delivering from that height you don't need express pace. Be interesting to see what offers he gets.Durham should certainly have another look.

Back