I've lost my job - Career Advice please!

Christ what a year and a half it has been :lol:. I never did get that recruitment job I interviewed for. In fact I didn't get a full time grad job at all until the following April (8 months later). Despite applying for all the jobs people on here suggested, I even got a free careers counsellor through a charity, I found it impossible to get anywhere.

Moved down to London last November as I said I was planning to the post, luckily a friend worked in the building trade and got me a bottom of the rung labourers job as I couldn't get anything else - which saved me to be honest. I worked as a labourer through the next couple of lockdowns as nobody was hiring. It was tough physical backbreaking work, but I don't mind that - it was good to be doing something to be honest. The pay is alright as well because you work such long hours (12 hour days, 6/7 days a week). The lads I worked with were class as well, most of them didn't speak any English but they worked harder then anyone i've ever seen. I did a course to become a slinger, which paid significantly more towards the end as well.

I total I think I must of applied for over 250 jobs and had maybe 20 or so interviews? But the market just wasn't there at all. I have a masters from Cambridge and a decent CV (which I made sure i tailored to every job I applied for etc.), but I wasn't even getting close to jobs as people with years of experience in the industry were applying for grad/ trainee jobs. Eventually a company in the industry I most wanted to work in, who I interviewed with in January for an unpaid internship (which I didn't get, as I was competing with others), rang me up and asked if I'd do a three paid internship with them. A month and a half into that they hired me as a graduate, which is where I am today. The good news is that 7 months in I love me job so much, I enjoy the work I do and the company/ people are class - couldn't be happier.

Now it's all about getting my head down and racking up experience and qualifications, I feel like that first job in any industry in the hardest?
Excellent story that, well done mate.

After graduating I couldn't get onto the career I wanted so spent 5 months working nights on a road gang, basically hitting asphalt with a massive hammer on the M62. Still look back on those days with fondness, although I doubt I could have done it for years. None of the gang I worked on could speak English either, they were from Co.Mayo......

I ended up getting a trainee accountancy job with the same firm. The first step is definitely the hardest, just try to hoover up as much knowledge and experience as you can.

Apologies if this is the wrong place but looks like general application advice thread so thought I'd ask.

It's really trivial but it's been really bugging me. I have an interview next week in the same place I work. A pretty decent diagonal step up and I don't know what to wear! We're in a pretty casual office, jeans and a shirt and jumper kind of thing so I feel I will stand out a fair bit of I come in suited up and lead to a lot of questions, but at the same time I would feel odd not wearing a suit to an interview.

What do you reckon?
Suit 100%
If they're all in jeans and t shirts, put your jacket on the back of your chair when you go to fit sit down.

Back