Is there better local cricketers in local cricket

Some good batters in the academy, why not give them a chance.

Sol Bell, Ross Greenwell, Jonny Bushnell. Get Steel back in when fit. Would rather watch them lads give it a crack than the current order.

I’ve played in the same team as James Lowe before and he was a great player! I heard he’s coaching women or something now though. Surely some of the batters at the likes of South North and Chester may be good enough though, I’m thinking Birtwhistle for example. Most will know better than me though.

Its a tricky one, do you stick a 17/18 year old lad in to a failing side or ask a 30-something from the leagues if he fancies a couple of games with no real guarantee of earning a contract. And if he has a good job, like Birtwisle does, chances are he'll say thanks but no thanks.

Obvious one is Kyle Coetzer, who would instantly be our second best batter behind Bancroft. However, I do recall being told he was offered something last year and it wasn't worth his time.

Interesting debate......

For what it’s worth the majority of the current squad wouldn’t have even made the academy setup 8+ years ago never mind being in the first team.

Combination of a change in approach in the academy structure, taking kids at 14/15 and playing them in premier league before they were ready has contributed to current lack of talent coming through. In yesteryear most lads had a grounding in their own clubs senior teams before stepping up into the academy.

Financial constraints has hit the club hard no doubt however I do believe previous coaches were not good enough and should have been moved on long before they were. As Franklin pointed out after this weeks drubbing, players have got to start looking at themselves and how they can improve their own game, play situations better.....I just don’t think they have the brains to figure it for themselves unfortunately.

There are some really good players in the premier league who could and maybe should have had an opportunity much earlier in their careers......Birtwhisle’s, Worthy, etc etc however it is still those players who are the best in the region and all knocking on 40 if not older.......there are no players good enough, who are young enough to put pressure on the county squad from outside....dire state of affairs for cricket in the region.

Back