Is the 16.4 a success?

It has not been a success IMHO. The Idea that proper cricket has had to suffer for this abomination is disgraceful. When I played some 400 years ago we had a midweek league that had 8 divisions, we played 24x6 ball overs and had some great games. We had county players and Test players in the 1st division - it was a brilliant standard. They only have 6 divisions now and the 1st class lads have gone. In the Saturday League we were in one of 6 senior leagues in Yorkshire and it was good cricket. Nowadays the League has lost teams to the Pyramid system and I think all clubs eventually will end up in the system.

This competition has not grasped the interest of a lot of club cricketers.
That’s down to it not being played on terrestrial tv for the last 20 years really though

Dont get me started on the never ending football season, its killing grass roots cricket
I’m not convinced it’s doing much for participation football either. When I was a lad pretty much any open patch, park etc across the region had properly laid out pitches that would rarely be quiet Saturday morning, Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning. Even though large numbers of them have fallen victim to housing development and council cuts, the ones that are left aren’t always full these days either. Seems to me grassroots football is dying on its arse too.

Who won the previous two seasons of it ?

Without doing a Google search and I’d lay any odds , nobody in the target audience could say
Its a good point this. Nobody cares about or has any afinity to these made up franchises. It could have been the Leeds cash converters or the Manchester money grabbers or was it the Surrey slush funders?
Dont get me started on the never ending football season, its killing grass roots cricket
To be fair that isn't footballs fault. If a sport cannot continue to exist because another sport is more popular then it needs to have a good look at itself.

Last edited:
Quite enjoy it tbh. I'm an old fart and was dead against it initially, but the kids love it. Its a different world these days, the short stuff really gets them into it - there is too much going on around their world at that age these days to get them to sit still for more than an hour or 2. You could argue they shouldve focussed more on revitalizing the t20 i guess.
Are you saying the extra 20 balls is the limit of your kids attention span? Or just that they haven’t actually promoted or made T20 available, so this has become the de facto accessible T20?

I think they are two different arguments with two very different meanings

Its a good point this. Nobody cares about or has any afinity to these made up franchises. It could have been the Leeds cash converters or the Manchester money grabbers or was it the Surrey slush funders?
True up to a point. To some extent, this is a feature of the short form more generally though. I bet there’s plenty who don’t remember who won the last couple of Blasts either. I had to think hard to remember last year‘s and I was at the final (though perhaps drink and age also contribute to a certain fuzziness there). And while I could recount the results of individual ashes series and be pretty confident, I’d get almost all of them right, I would struggle to say for certain that we even played white ball against them last year. And that’s speaking as someone who thinks of themselves as a white ball fan.

To be fair that isn't footballs fault. If a sport cannot continue to exist because another sport is more popular then it needs to have a good look at itself.
That’s true, but football does overwhelm everything else in a way that it didn’t prior to the 1990s.

I’m not convinced it’s doing much for participation football either. When I was a lad pretty much any open patch, park etc across the region had properly laid out pitches that would rarely be quiet Saturday morning, Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning. Even though large numbers of them have fallen victim to housing development and council cuts, the ones that are left aren’t always full these days either. Seems to me grassroots football is dying on its arse too.

Grassroots cricket isn’t dying on its arse in the region now IMO. Numbers are down on 20 years ago but the excellent All Stars has regenerated things juniors-wise and it’s starting to filter through at senior level.

Football now never stops and participation must be at an all time high the amount of organised Junior teams around me, when i was a Kid there was a school team from each school and 2 local Teams above that, who basically took all the best kids from the schools, a bit more dog eat dog as it was one team per age group, but they never played in the summer, so we had plenty lads who played both

lad at work runs an uner 8's a team in Stanley, theyve numerous teams in each age group who play in organised leagues around the region every weekend over the winter, but when summer comes they still play in regular tournaments,

over the years my bairn played i lost count of how many under 11's cricket games where teams were short because lads were at football i bet its still the case

Grassroots cricket isn’t dying on its arse in the region now IMO. Numbers are down on 20 years ago but the excellent All Stars has regenerated things juniors-wise and it’s starting to filter through at senior level.

Allstars has seen an increase in some clubs but it doesnt always translate to participation, especially in the eventual change to hardball cricket, weve been lucky where the bairn plays, enough in a squad to always have 11, but My mates son plays at Beamish and said they had decent Allstars numbers every year but will struggle to get 11 under 13's out this year and havnt had a U15's for 2 years

Are you saying the extra 20 balls is the limit of your kids attention span? Or just that they haven’t actually promoted or made T20 available, so this has become the de facto accessible T20?

I think they are two different arguments with two very different meanings
Not really. Just observed that they enjoyed the 100 games they went to, and think they do a good job selling it to younger fans. T20 or 100 makes no real difference to me, not my favourite forms, but either/both have a place if people enjoy them.

Football now never stops and participation must be at an all time high the amount of organised Junior teams around me, when i was a Kid there was a school team from each school and 2 local Teams above that, who basically took all the best kids from the schools, a bit more dog eat dog as it was one team per age group, but they never played in the summer, so we had plenty lads who played both

lad at work runs an uner 8's a team in Stanley, theyve numerous teams in each age group who play in organised leagues around the region every weekend over the winter, but when summer comes they still play in regular tournaments,

over the years my bairn played i lost count of how many under 11's cricket games where teams were short because lads were at football i bet its still the case

Allstars has seen an increase in some clubs but it doesnt always translate to participation, especially in the eventual change to hardball cricket, weve been lucky where the bairn plays, enough in a squad to always have 11, but My mates son plays at Beamish and said they had decent Allstars numbers every year but will struggle to get 11 under 13's out this year and havnt had a U15's for 2 years

That’s sad to hear but in general I think the number of junior sides is growing. And Sunday adult cricket (traditionally the entry point for kids) has grown by one third or so since All Stars started.

Who won the previous two seasons of it ?

Without doing a Google search and I’d lay any odds , nobody in the target audience could say

I dont think i could name half the teams to be fair
The one small benefit will be that it has helped promote women’s cricket
The womens super league was already rising and rising in popularity, i honestly doubt any success wouldnt have happened with or without it.

What is bonkers now is afaik women have no opportunity to play cricket the way its played internationally until they get into the international set up.... That seems so stupid it can't possibly be true can it?

Last edited:
I dont think i could name half the teams to be fair

The womens super league was already rising and rising in popularity, i honestly doubt any success wouldnt have happened with or without it.

What is bonkers now is afaik women have no opportunity to play cricket the way its played internationally until they get into the international set up.... That seems so stupid it can't possibly be true can it?
It's the ECB... If something is too stupid to possibly be true, it probably is.

Back