Is football about to implode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
43 years since my first game and god how things have changed!. The money that’s being banded around is quite ridiculous and how long will it take before we can even hope to compete in the upper levels again?
I am forever fascinated by memories of the way it used to be but realise sport is a different animal now. I’ve got a copy of the daily mirror 1981 Bothams ashes after the headingley test and there’s a headline about Bryan Robson moving into the “big pay league” by joining Man Utd from West Brom and doubling his wage from £450 a week to £900! Fast forward 38 years and I see average players like Lewis Dunk at Brighton being quoted at £40 million and wanting £80k a week! Where will it end and how do we catch up?

I’m torn. I want to see us compete at the highest level. Playing decent football against the best teams in the country. However I honestly, genuinely do not miss the premier league. Whipping boys, there to make up the numbers for the big spenders. Every season I see the money thrown at below average players increase. And the more it does, the more the disconnect between yer average supporter and the journeyman millionaires at their club. At some stage it’s got to reach critical mass and implode.

Na, just getting started. NFL has been a massive money machine for decades. Premier just getting started, not even about the English anymore it's a worldwide attraction so they'll keep taking it in. Just doubt now we'll ever be involved again. As is Sunderland's way by hook or by crook we always miss the beat.

No it won’t.
People been saying this for f***ing years.

I’ll probably be saying this type of shite when i’m over 40
I’m actually howling at this your right I’ve turned into a parent who harps on about the past! Don’t forget when the weather gets colder to zip up your jacket!

The NBA and MLB have even more ridiculous player salaries and seem to be doing just fine and they don't even have shady despots and sheikhs using their clubs for money laundering. I'd guess football will only get worse.

43 years since my first game and god how things have changed!. The money that’s being banded around is quite ridiculous and how long will it take before we can even hope to compete in the upper levels again?
I am forever fascinated by memories of the way it used to be but realise sport is a different animal now. I’ve got a copy of the daily mirror 1981 Bothams ashes after the headingley test and there’s a headline about Bryan Robson moving into the “big pay league” by joining Man Utd from West Brom and doubling his wage from £450 a week to £900! Fast forward 38 years and I see average players like Lewis Dunk at Brighton being quoted at £40 million and wanting £80k a week! Where will it end and how do we catch up?

This is not a new concern, its been bandied about since I was a kid with people concerned that football was heading for ruin. I think the bottom of the food chain will see a change in the way they do business, and they will become merely feeder clubs and associate clubs of the larger teams out there. Playing under their own crest but clearly being the feeder for Man Utd or Liverpool and the likes.

When you look at the salaries back then they are mostly in line with earnings of the clubs, compare what clubs are making today from tv money and sponsorships compared to 1981 - different world.

I've been watching that Brian Cox planets program on tele.

I think with rafa and brucey on different sides of the globe, we aren't at risk of anything imploding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back