Is COVID19 at risk of becoming a disease of the poor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
100% this.

The people who I generally see not abiding by the rules, not wearing masks and refusing the vaccine are those that the data tells us are the greatest risk i.e. poorer people, BAME communities, those who are over weight.

The media paints this as a problem created by society and those in power, which is true to an extent, but surely there has to be some looking in the mirror as well. May sound harsh, but if you reject the vaccine and die it's your own f***ing fault.

Isn’t the point “what do we do about it” , all ignoring the problem and saying it’s your f***king fault does is create a reservoir of the virus with the real possibility of mutation into a vaccine immune variant which will put all of us at risk again

It still is, but it’s exceptionally more common in minority communities due to travel. Though 2020 will be an odd year for TB incidence.

In white communities TB is highly associated with alcohol, drugs, homelessness or prison.
Yes, but TB isn't as contagious as diseases such as influenza, and is mainly passed on where there are people living in close proximity with each other. This puts immigrants from places such as the sub continent at greater risk. ~Not only is travel a factor but also the practice of several generations living together, along with young girls being confined within the home for long periods.

Yes, but TB isn't as contagious as diseases such as influenza, and is mainly passed on where there are people living in close proximity with each other. This puts immigrants from places such as the sub continent at greater risk. ~Not only is travel a factor but also the practice of several generations living together, along with young girls being confined within the home for long periods.

Absolutely agree - look at household overcrowding data in areas of high minority population and that makes total sense.

They go to the local GP and register there. No questions will be asked regarding their immigration status or address. They will be given dates to be vaccinated. Personally I think this arrangement needs far more publicity than it has received so far.
A GP Surgery will ask if they are entitled to use the NHS at no cost. Though whether they can have the jab regardless, I don't know. Hopefully everybody can get the jab whether they are entitled to use the NHS at no cost or not. Do you know if this is the case?

A GP Surgery will ask if they are entitled to use the NHS at no cost. Though whether they can have the jab regardless, I don't know. Hopefully everybody can get the jab whether they are entitled to use the NHS at no cost or not. Do you know if this is the case?

There is no charge for anyone regardless of immigration status. GP surgeries must not ask for entitlement to free treatment in this situation. The issue is to get everyone vaccinated as soon as possible. They won’t get advanced standing but will be vaccinated according to the group that they fall in. Personally as many live in poor overcrowded circumstances I would vaccinate them as soon as they present themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back