Ironic cheers for mcgeoch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying he is anywhere near him, but did you ever see Paul Bracewell playing for us. Showed for the ball, kept possesion (majority of the time its sideways or maybe backwards), covered in front of the back 4, could see danger and snuff it out.

What Bracewell never had was an eye for a killer pass, an eye for goal (although he scored a belting volley at Bramall lane one year), pace and the ability to go past people.

McGeouch reminds me of him. Simple and effective.
Tbh marra, I can only remember Bracewells last stint here and I don't feel it's a bad comparison. I just feel at our level he has more to give and could really control games for us. I want to see him be better than okay or decent for us though.

One thing I will say is the midfielders we have been playing lately (Catts and Power) really don't compliment each other very well imo. They haven't gelled well and it makes each of them look worse individually. I've been saying for weeks that imo it's our biggest problem and what JR really needs to find an answer to.

Tbh marra, I can only remember Bracewells last stint here and I don't feel it's a bad comparison. I just feel at our level he has more to give and could really control games for us. I want to see him be better than okay or decent for us though.

One thing I will say is the midfielders we have been playing lately (Catts and Power) really don't compliment each other very well imo. They haven't gelled well and it makes each of them look worse individually. I've been saying for weeks that imo it's our biggest problem and what JR really needs to find an answer to.

Powers not been the same player since his last suspension, Him and Catts looked decent earlier in the season when we were actually playing some good stuff and both scoring. Now, that midfield just looks stale and tired.

I’d like to see him impose himself more, but he offers us something different to the rest of our midfielders in that he is always available for the ball, even dropping in to take it from the centre backs.

What I noticed last night was how few times Baldwin and Ozturk were forced the lump it forwards. In recent league games where we’ve had Cattermole and Power playing, neither of them are willing to drop 10 yards and pick the ball up from our defenders, which usually means they end up launching it 50 yards.

Yes he passes it backwards, but by him dropping deeper to collect the ball he pulls opposition players back with him. If they follow him, he is then able to drop the ball back with the centre backs (but McGeouch moves into space to receive the ball again) who have other options available to them due to the space created by McGeough pulling players out with him.

No he may not play the huge cross field balls, or break into the box to join attacks. But he recycles possession for us very well, is always showing for the ball and is very clever in his movement off the ball. Get some legs around him, O’Nien last night was excellent again, and you allow him to play his own game. It might not be exciting or pretty, but he’s bloody good at it.

Not meant to be arrogant in any way either :lol:

I’d like to see him impose himself more, but he offers us something different to the rest of our midfielders in that he is always available for the ball, even dropping in to take it from the centre backs.

What I noticed last night was how few times Baldwin and Ozturk were forced the lump it forwards. In recent league games where we’ve had Cattermole and Power playing, neither of them are willing to drop 10 yards and pick the ball up from our defenders, which usually means they end up launching it 50 yards.

Yes he passes it backwards, but by him dropping deeper to collect the ball he pulls opposition players back with him. If they follow him, he is then able to drop the ball back with the centre backs (but McGeouch moves into space to receive the ball again) who have other options available to them due to the space created by McGeough pulling players out with him.

No he may not play the huge cross field balls, or break into the box to join attacks. But he recycles possession for us very well, is always showing for the ball and is very clever in his movement off the ball. Get some legs around him, O’Nien last night was excellent again, and you allow him to play his own game. It might not be exciting or pretty, but he’s bloody good at it.

See mate, there's not much that I disagree with here but at this level we are desperate for him to impose himself on games and help our midfield actually control games for an extended period of time. He needs to be more positive imo, that doesn't mean pass it forward at any cost but because of the players he has around him not being playmakers or players that carry the ball it usually means the ball ends up back with our centre backs and hoof. I want to see him take responsibility with the ball instead of just playing it safe, in a different side that might be the best approach for him but we need more imo.

I agree about changing the midfield and was disappointed we never got the chance to see McGeouch, Mumba and O'Nien together as that's the midfield I'd like to try and perhaps we would see a better McGeouch with more legs around him.

See mate, there's not much that I disagree with here but at this level we are desperate for him to impose himself on games and help our midfield actually control games for an extended period of time. He needs to be more positive imo, that doesn't mean pass it forward at any cost but because of the players he has around him not being playmakers or players that carry the ball it usually means the ball ends up back with our centre backs and hoof. I want to see him take responsibility with the ball instead of just playing it safe, in a different side that might be the best approach for him but we need more imo.

I agree about changing the midfield and was disappointed we never got the chance to see McGeouch, Mumba and O'Nien together as that's the midfield I'd like to try and perhaps we would see a better McGeouch with more legs around him.

I’d love to see that midfield, I think they’d work well together. No idea how Mumba was suspended like, but suspensions in this competition make no sense!!

I agree, I’d like to see him impose himself more on games and yeah, with more ‘positive’ players around him who are willing to move and look for space I think he’d look even better.

Had some old guy behind me last night whinging every time the ball didn't go forwards. Once Matthews was right up against the touchline with a man blocking the line and another blocking a square pass and he moaned that he'd passed it backwards...

Funny that most of the people moaning about backward passes are backward themselves.

Good post - pretty much mirrors my view of McGeouch. People don't seem to understand the benefits of keeping possession of the ball for longer periods - it tires and wears down the opposition. End to end, thud and blunder can be entertaining but I'd rather we were more 'cultured' and played pass and move.

Some of our fans sound like mags !! Absolutely clueless, McGeough is an excellent footballer, who will get better and better !

Some of our fans sound like mags !! Absolutely clueless, McGeough is an excellent footballer, who will get better and better !
Agree that with a run of games he will show his true worth. He is always available to take a pass from a team mate and he covers a lot of ground but in a very intelligent way. People who can't see this have either never played football or are thick as a pan of broth.

Agree that with a run of games he will show his true worth. He is always available to take a pass from a team mate and he covers a lot of ground but in a very intelligent way. People who can't see this have either never played football or are thick as a pan of broth.

Both these posts are quite ironic in that accusing fellow Sunderland fans of being mags and thick just because they have a different opinion to you, is the most Mag thing you can do, so get yourselves off to SJP lads and join the other sheep if you can’t handle differing opinions between our supporters.

I’d personally be delighted for him to show improved performances and deserve a place in our team, which for what it’s worth, Jack Ross does not think he’s done enough to deserve a starting 11 place in our best team.

I don't think he is great by any stretch but by Christ we need to start keeping the ball more.
He does that more than anyone so agree he should be in at present.

Start keeping the ball more? We mess about with it too much if anything.

He played a number of decent balls forward yesterday. People saying he ‘never’ passes forward presumably weren’t there or have made up their mind so see what they want.

In the league games he hasn't played many balls forward.

if you aren't doing ridiculous step overs then you are crap these days, youngsters man ... living a bubble

Cliched nonsense I'm afraid. Some of those desperate to play up McGeouch in this thread seem to have a bit of a chip on their shoulder.

Last edited:
The problem for McGeouch (and our team) at the moment is that Jack Ross is playing him as one of a pair of deep defensive midfielders. We only need one there and it should definitely be McGeouch. I think two there invites lesser teams onto us (drawing from winning positions) and prevents a higher press from us which could lead to us scoring that all important 2nd goal. We don’t need 6 at the back. DM would thrive in the role Poyet gave Cattermole here and Bridcutt at Brighton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back