Ireland Test Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

But how will this effect McCarthy and Poytner's contracts with Durham? Would they be regarded as overseas players if Ireland have full test status?
Would imagine their present contracts would have to be honoured.

I'm sure all of that will come out in due course.

I believe they can play now due to us and Ireland being in the EU, that may change if we leave the EU. I don't know.

But how will this effect McCarthy and Poytner's contracts with Durham? Would they be regarded as overseas players if Ireland have full test status?
Would imagine their present contracts would have to be honoured.
Obviously with Irish people there'd be no issue with ability to work in the UK or with visas or anything like that, it will all be down to how the ECB wants to play it.

Good news yes but ........ how will it work financially? It can't be self-financing I would have thought. Not enough paying spectators within Ireland to support it (remember even England have difficulty making the less popular Test tours pay).

And if (for arguments sake) Irish players in the Counties are deemed to be overseas a few will be losing their jobs and much of their income.

I'm sure all of that will come out in due course.

I believe they can play now due to us and Ireland being in the EU, that may change if we leave the EU. I don't know.
After the EU there will still be the 'Free travel area' whereby Irish and UK citizens can move back and forth freely and reside and work wherever. Basically the same system that existed before the EU and before the common market. - So the issue won't be 'law of the land' it will just be down to how the ECB wants to play it.

Last edited:
Cricket should learn from the Kenya situation of 10 years ago. A good set of players let down by not getting enough games and ultimately, the whole thing goes belly up. Ireland and Afghanistan should be given some 5 day games v Bangladesh, West Indies and Zimbabwe. See how good they really are and take it from three. Even the bigger countries could play a one off test at a smaller out of the way venue (insert Riverside pun here).

Bit torn on this, on the one hand Ireland and Afghanistan have made massive progress over the last 10 years and are both new territories for the game, on the other hand I can't see either of them being able to compete with any of the existing test sides except Zimbabwe over the course of a series

Bit torn on this, on the one hand Ireland and Afghanistan have made massive progress over the last 10 years and are both new territories for the game, on the other hand I can't see either of them being able to compete with any of the existing test sides except Zimbabwe over the course of a series
True ..... but every country that has been granted Test status has struggled at first too. It will take time but I'd say Test status will give them a boost and enable them to get better over the course of time.

Give Ireland and Afghanistan a chance or they will regress like Kenya did. Test nations should make more of an effort to play tour warm-up games in associate nations. Much better than playing a 2 day game v a hotch-potch of local nobodies. Cricket needs new audiences, build the game in Nepal, Papua New Guinea, Namibia, see what happens.

Wonder how far away Holland are from Test Status, think it would be great if more European test sides.

As those have said imagine if say India were coming over to play England in a 5 Test series, playing a one off test match against Ireland would be better prep than playing a county side and would get a pretty decent crowd in I imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back