Ireland lockdown. Strict.

il no expert , just giving a hypothesis. I’d like to see the nightingales open and dedicated to this rather than using normal hospitals.

I understand the staffing , however if that’s the case why where they built

tbf this probably isn't a bad shout. It's not free the Irish health system so people won't be going to a GP unless they show symptoms and they need to get a check over a phone line (the only way you can get a test for free in Ireland). I know the government get critisised a lot on here but the testing is one of the things they've done quite well at.

How to get tested - It's not only us that gives horrific advice, all over the place that.

Restricted movements (stay at home) - Just looking at that. If we published that it says to some British people the following:

You must isolate but:
  • You can go shopping, I can't use online deliveries as the vegetables aren't right.
  • You can meet people as long as there not old, pregnant or a long term medical confdition.
  • You can have visitors in your garden.
  • 'As possible' means you can do it a few times then.
  • There's no mentions of pubs, can do that.
  • No public transport, fine can use taxis.
Then further down you 'should' behave like you have Covid if you show symptoms which means obviously it's just advisory so you can do whatever you want until it shows positive.

I'm not sure how the Irish are acting but if it's anything like us it's no wonder they're going into lockdown with advice like that and if their behaving, it pretty much sums up why we lead the deaths.

So the rate of people currently in hospital may be higher, because we’re more likely to admit?

I’m not a clinician but as I understand it, that is not what’s happening. RichB? @RichB

Surely though if that is what’s happening that’s a greater urge to lockdown - because beds would be being used up at a greater rate.

I am a GP but I doubt that folk would be admit 'just in case' with a positive test
They would have to be symptomatic enough to need hospital assessment as the last thing you want is hordes of folk with Covid sat in the hospital with little in the way of illness. I have had 3 positive tests in my patients and all were advised go home and if you get unwell call for a medical assessment

I know there are some markers on labs that can predict those who may get more sick down the road so that would influence admissions but as I said you would need to be symptomatic enough to go to hospital in the first place
From what I have seen there is an alarming rise in patients in hospital with Covid- was 1250 a month ago and is now 5,600. Its not as rapid a rise as was seen in March which is a good thing obviously but its a worrying trend

I'm surprised Scotland hasn't done it. Krankie usually likes to get in ahead of a Boris U-turn.
As soon as she gets her mandatory government provided pre-warning, she will suddenly address her own nation and make Boris look like a dick again. Not that that is hard to do.
It's not allowed to have a different oppinion on here and if you do it means your automatically a conspiracy theorist nut job.
Same on the politics board mate. If you ain't hard left, your a right wing nut job.

Last edited:
People I work with aren't expecting any form of Vaccine until September at the earliest, I've been told not to expect to travel to Ireland this year.

The vaccination thing amazes me as the UK has already vaccinated 4 times the population of Ireland, but they also feel they wouldn't have any vaccines at all if they had not been part of the EU as they'd have been right at the back of the queue. Again I am surprised as I thought that Ireland had quite a big pharma presence so could have got themselves higher up the list.

Last edited:
People I work with aren't expecting any form of Vaccine until September at the earliest, I've been told not to expect to travel to Ireland this year.

The vaccination thing amazes me as the UK has already vaccinated 4 times the population of Ireland, but they also feel they wouldn't have any vaccines at all if they had not been part of the EU as they'd have been right at the back of the queue. Again I am surprised as I thought that Ireland had quite a big pharma presence so could have got themselves higher up the list.

Probably can't get the needle through the balaclava......

Oh - sorry - wrong thread.

Surely the UK will help out if supply is an issue? Only a small country after all.

Back