Ipswich town squad size

Indeed. I haven't watched the lad but to suggest he'd get in every side in L1 and half the Championship yet neither of those sides wanted him, it's wishful thinking maybe.

4 in 65 according to Wiki.
Even worse.
Yet he'd walk into any team in this league and half the championship.šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

23 year old forward with 6 career goals dropping down to league one.

Sounds shite.
Heā€™s a winger not a forward, but has 3 assists in 59 League games (or 3 in 26 league games if we go by minutes played rather than games), including no assists in 4 games for Ipswich this season.

I know thereā€™s more to stats than goals and assists but he doesnā€™t exactly stand out. Makes me think of some of the signings weā€™ve made in the last 3 seasons - fringe player in the Championship so they must be too good for L1.

Last edited:
Didnā€™t realise they had Ed Sheeran on the books.

I wonder if he sings to the defense during training: ā€œIā€™m in love with the shape of youā€

Wasn't that a condition of his sponsorship deal with them?
Supposing they got to the Play off final at Wembley; what's the chances that he'd be named as a sub/get on the pitch (I would if it was me!!)?

Itā€™s not the players so much as the strategy and vision for the team. It looks very scatter gun. Edwards, Harper and Fraser look good signings as do a few others but youā€™re probably kidding yourself if you think youā€™ve beaten any championship clubs of greater stature than Peterborough or Blackpool for example. Got nothing against Ipswich, had an enjoyable if weird spell working at sizewell B and met a lot of decent Town supporters. Think youā€™ll struggle with such wholesale changes though and take a while to gel.

In fairness the keeper, who looked very good last season, has been woeful. We would have been demanding better. In fact with Burge doing okay we have demanded, and hopefully got, better.
I thought they'd only just brought in the keeper that's been playing a month or so ago, and brought in a new one the other day to replace him?

Heā€™s a winger not a forward, but has 3 assists in 59 League games (or 3 in 26 league games if we go by minutes played rather than games), including no assists in 4 games for Ipswich this season.

I know thereā€™s more to stats than goals and assists but he doesnā€™t exactly stand out. Makes me think of some of the signings weā€™ve made in the last 3 seasons - fringe player in the Championship so they must be too good for L1.
Aye sounds like a signing we would have made.

@IpswichFanInPeace @Tractorboy etc, we've been kindly invited on to your forum to explain our disdain for Ashton. I don't care enough to actually sign up on your forum, but if you could share some views via here.

Oh dear. They really donā€™t know whatā€™s going to hit them do they.
Ipswich fans moaning about their previous owners not being able to maintain the floodlights ā€¦..tell you, it would have been a blessing if the friggin floodlights went out in most of our games under Ashtonā€™s command.
His only achievement after 4 years tenure was to have made me fall out of love with the ā€˜beautiful gameā€™ā€¦. something no previous regime had achieved in 50 years - even when we were bottom of the entire league.
No, Ipswich youā€™re more than welcome to Ashton and his people. Donā€™t say we didnā€™t warn you.

If Ipswich fans want a simple metric as to why we despise Marky-boy, it's the following.
- We were 23rd in this division, when he took reigns as CEO. He was in an advisory position previous to that when Keith Dawe was Chairman, bless that man, who planned and initialised the stadium and training ground plans that Ashton ultimately took credit for.
- At the point MA left we were 20th - however:
- Never connected with fans; no updates or news from the club with regards to general communications when things were not going well.
- Sacked well liked media staff members among others under NDAs (same as he did at Watford).
- Net transfer spending and wages were up Ā£35m and 50% per annum respectively, leaving us in a lack FFP shit-pile having been solvent he previous 3-4 year period with outgoings.
- Signing players with no regard to tactics or playstyle, scattergun recruitment, leading to a bloated squad, and horrific club culture across most levels.
- Inept staffing (fitness), plus managerial appointment(s). Holden, good coach, should never have been named manager after an 8 week search.
Ultimately, in terms of every remit where he had targets to hit as a CEO, and with the level of backing he had. He failed - badly. None too gracefully either, and made a few tongue in cheek comments also, as well as outright lies on multiple occasions.
I find the Tractor Boys forum thread discussing us also ironic, in whereby they claim we have no idea what it was like for them under Clegg.
No shit lads. Pot Kettle Black, etc. Think we have this vendetta against him for fun?
By and large seem confused whereby they seem to think we're the only club ran afoul of by MA. His time at Watford is well documented by the same issues, I.e. disagreeing with managers, not connecting with fans, NDAs to longstanding clubs staff to appoint his own 'people'.
A period that few will miss
Literally one of the first returns on Google. Not exactly 'hidden'.
All we're saying, is take the man never at face value, with a massive pinch of salt, and don't get carried away.
@Davefevs @Mr Popodopolous Out of interest, Not 100% clued up on the L1 FFP requirements, but where did Ipswich position in regards to the latter for the last couple of season, and what impact would the change in ownership have?

"I suspect it is something we will discover for ourselves in the future. In short, Ashton works with sustaining the books, so our best players may be sold quite regularly to finance the future of the club. I presume with Bristol, he may have been a bit too heavy on his sustainable approach.
However, over the long term, it seems to have improved them."

Oh sweet summer child, if only you knew the complete absolute clusterfudge our finances were now in compared to where they were 3 years ago...

I mean, I guess you need to be careful not to tar everyone with the same brush, but the determination across their board that the problem is us and not him is bizarre. Itā€™s actually frightening.
Iā€™ve never heard a nice word said about Ashton from anyone within football who has dealt with him at any point. Ever.
His conduct at Watford is well documented - literally in black and white for public consumption - and, while heā€™s been given due credit for getting good value for outgoing players, as such thereā€™s ALWAYS been a sense of caution around him. Long before the shit really hit the fan.
Iā€™m genuinely staggered, then, that any Ipswich fan really thinks we have a vendetta all because he failed to deliver promotion to a division we apparently ā€œbelieveā€ we belong in despite never having been there. That any disdain has no real merit. That, as Iā€™ve even read, it is merely born out of a jealously he left us for a mid-table League One club.
As Nigel would say... ā€œAre you an ostrich?ā€
And I promised myself I wouldnā€™t get involved!

Last edited:
I like some of your squad but donā€™t pretend you wouldnā€™t have taken some of our signings at the very least because you would.

Edwards alone would get in every single team in this division and most of the championship as well.
He's barely played in his whole career so a bold claim. Deemed not good enough by West Brom after 20 odd appearances. Zero goals or assists for you. Rating below 7 thus far this season on who scored.

Still bad crack like. He's only just signed for them and they bin him off. We replaced Burge but at least we gave him more than a few games!
Agreed. Didnā€™t realise keepers donā€™t count in the squad. ( if Iā€™ve read the Ipswich squad article right)

I do, like. I'm sure a competent manager will eventually be able to get a good league one side out of that lot. They'll still have too many older players, too many 'league one only' players and too many players sat on the sidelines wasting a wage, though. They're now in a situation where they need to get promoted this season or they'll be dealing with their mistakes for the next 3 years. And even promotion won't completely insulate them from what they've done this summer.

I struggle with the point if it. They have attempted to buy their way out if the league only to lose a shed load in the championship. I'm assuming they don't have the money to buy their way out of the league above as well.
How are they getting around the wage cap, I thought we had to reduce ours to comply?
Ask Wigan the same.

"I suspect it is something we will discover for ourselves in the future. In short, Ashton works with sustaining the books, so our best players may be sold quite regularly to finance the future of the club. I presume with Bristol, he may have been a bit too heavy on his sustainable approach.
However, over the long term, it seems to have improved them."
A bit too heavy?

How can he have been a" bit too heavy on his sustainable approachā€ when we saw escalating losses, despite making huge profits on the sale of the likes of Flint, Reid, Bryan and Kelly, primarily because he amassed a bloated squad, compromising too many average players consuming a huge wage bill. To compound the problem he allowed 10 playersā€™ contracts to finish this summer, so that all left without the club being able to recoup a penny in transfer fees, one of whom was our then record signing at Ā£5m.

Obviously Ipswich fans paid no attention to the last 2 years when they say that he improved us ā€œin the long termā€. Going back to the earlier part of his time here, when we sold Flint and replaced him with Webster and when, despite selling Reid and Bryan, we sustained our position at the top end of the table I think many felt that he was doing a good job and looked past the corporate speak (bolux). However, it gradually became clear that many of MAā€™s pigeons were coming home to roost during the latter part of LJā€™s time and especially with the appointment of Holden as his replacement.

Finally, whatā€™s this about ā€œ his sustainability approachā€. I can only assume that MA is now taking credit for introducing what was always SLā€™s strategy!

He is someone with a reputation for potential, similar to the likes of harper and cirkin. Bournemouth and celtic had a look at him but was never likely to worry their first team this season. Id have taken a chance on him, as I would the keeper hadlky to be fair.

Didn't Blackpool make wholesale changes last summer? Didn't work out too badly for them after a bad start.

Way too early to write anybody off.

Just look at us after losing the first four games in Keane's first season.

Changes were made after Keane took control. Ipswich changes have already happened, with the manager that was there to oversee the changes. He simply has to go on a winning run now.

Back