International Women's Day today

I have a question. I support International Women's Day and have mentored and coached and volunteered as an advocate for work-based projects to support women in the workplace prior to my recent retirement. OK so fuck off with your assumptions... anyway. That out of the way...

I understand that in other places in Europe - I'm talking about Spain if I'm being specific - there are ways of supporting International Women's Day which include the withdrawal of labour. By that I mean individual women (and presumably men?) who go on 'strike' for one day to support women worldwide who are struggling for equal rights. I didn't know that this was a thing. I'm presuming that in the past, this also involved and 'event' or a 'march' but in these pandemic times etc. But the principle is that this is not a days annual leave. This is a 'strike'?

Have I been living under a rock or is this a commonly understood thing? Anybody know? @becs?

I have a question. I support International Women's Day and have mentored and coached and volunteered as an advocate for work-based projects to support women in the workplace prior to my recent retirement. OK so fuck off with your assumptions... anyway. That out of the way...

I understand that in other places in Europe - I'm talking about Spain if I'm being specific - there are ways of supporting International Women's Day which include the withdrawal of labour. By that I mean individual women (and presumably men?) who go on 'strike' for one day to support women worldwide who are struggling for equal rights. I didn't know that this was a thing. I'm presuming that in the past, this also involved and 'event' or a 'march' but in these pandemic times etc. But the principle is that this is not a days annual leave. This is a 'strike'?

Have I been living under a rock or is this a commonly understood thing? Anybody know? @becs?
Not heard of it for IWD specifically but I’m aware of the Iceland Women’s strike from years past so imagine it’s an iteration perhaps.

Not heard of it for IWD either. I'm at work today.

Not heard of it for IWD either. I'm at work today.

Well I appear to have upset a young lady relative, employed in Barcelona, by pointing out that the company she's contracted to work for has a point when complaining to her of extremely short notice that she's withdrawing her labour. She's customer facing and things have had to be cancelled. And she now has no job.

Well I've wished my colleagues who happen to be all women, aside from my big boss, Happy International Women's Day.
I've had not so much as a thank you.

How rude. :lol:

Back