Indian Call Centre Scammers - they tried it on with me today.

• Thread starter Deleted member 30853
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 30853

Well, I got called by an Indian Call Centre scammer today. They claimed to be from my ISP, but decided to call me a wanker when I challenged them for ID. The phone call roughly followed the below transcript.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Logon or register to see this image

New Zealand Police FFS!!! :lol:

Found the link.

Here's what happens when a scammer tries to trick the police

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, I got called by an Indian Call Centre scammer today. They claimed to be from my ISP, but decided to call me a wanker when I challenged them for ID. The phone call roughly followed the below transcript.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Logon or register to see this image

New Zealand Police FFS!!! :lol:

Found the link.

Here's what happens when a scammer tries to trick the police
Can you make the text a bit bigger? Can't quite see it when I click on the image...

Can you make the text a bit bigger? Can't quite see it when I click on the image...

Sarky bugger!!! I'm sure you can use CTRL plus the wheel on your mouse to zoom.

Here's the text.

TeamViewer Scam

1) Call random user (normally via a randomly generated number), claim to be from their Internet Service Provider wanting to fix a problem (i.e. TalkTalk, Virgin Media, BT, Plusnet, AOL, etc.).

2) Ask them to switch on wireless router and PC if they are not already switched on.

3) Once the user is logged in, ask them to press “Windows” key and R together. This brings up the “Run” dialogue box.

4) Ask the user to type in “eventvwr” to open “Event Viewer”.

5) Ask the user to click on “Custom Views” then “Administrative Events”.

6) Point out the list of errors under the “Administrative Events” heading, which creates the illusion there are problems.

7) Ask the user to close “Event Viewer”.

8) Ask the user to open Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge or similar.

9) Ask them to search for “Teamviewer” and click on link.

10) Tell the user to download and install “Teamviewer”.

11) Give instructions on installation of Teamviewer,

12) Ask user to allow remote control, asking them to supply username and password to allow remote access from scammer’s PC.

13) Tell user they can do other things whilst you “fix” their technical issues.

14) Whilst pretending to “fix” user’s technical issues, look for evidence of Paypal and Bank Account passwords.

a. Many people will have some file on their PC where they will have usernames, passwords and memorable codes stored.

b. More gullible users could probably be persuaded to access their online banking and Paypal accounts whilst you are watching them via Teamviewer.

c. Failing this, people will have information present such as name, address and date of birth, allowing fake accounts to be set up in their name.

15) Thank them for their time then clean out their bank accounts or set up a fake account in their name, leaving them to pick up the bill.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Users should challenge the identity of the caller as soon as the phone call starts. If they cannot prove who they are, hang up immediately.

Note ringing back on a provided number as “proof of identity” may put you back in touch with the scammers.

The person calling may pass you onto someone else (i.e. headings such as “systems administrator”, “systems manager”, “IT co-ordinator” and finally “line manager”) to create the illusion the phone call is real. Higher ranked titles may be used if the scammers think you are becoming suspicious.

Once the scammer realises they have been rumbled, they will often become abusive. The scammers in one instance inadvertently rang the New Zealand Police Force and told them to “F**k off” once rumbled.

Ring back on the proper helpline. If the call was genuine, then your Internet Service Provider will be able to confirm this.

Feck me! I liked it better when text was smaller and I couldnt read it :lol:

Here's the text.

TeamViewer Scam

1) Call random user (normally via a randomly generated number), claim to be from their Internet Service Provider wanting to fix a problem (i.e. TalkTalk, Virgin Media, BT, Plusnet, AOL, etc.).

2) Ask them to switch on wireless router and PC if they are not already switched on.

3) Once the user is logged in, ask them to press “Windows” key and R together. This brings up the “Run” dialogue box.

4) Ask the user to type in “eventvwr” to open “Event Viewer”.

5) Ask the user to click on “Custom Views” then “Administrative Events”.

6) Point out the list of errors under the “Administrative Events” heading, which creates the illusion there are problems.

7) Ask the user to close “Event Viewer”.

8) Ask the user to open Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge or similar.

9) Ask them to search for “Teamviewer” and click on link.

10) Tell the user to download and install “Teamviewer”.

11) Give instructions on installation of Teamviewer,

12) Ask user to allow remote control, asking them to supply username and password to allow remote access from scammer’s PC.

13) Tell user they can do other things whilst you “fix” their technical issues.

14) Whilst pretending to “fix” user’s technical issues, look for evidence of Paypal and Bank Account passwords.

a. Many people will have some file on their PC where they will have usernames, passwords and memorable codes stored.

b. More gullible users could probably be persuaded to access their online banking and Paypal accounts whilst you are watching them via Teamviewer.

c. Failing this, people will have information present such as name, address and date of birth, allowing fake accounts to be set up in their name.

15) Thank them for their time then clean out their bank accounts or set up a fake account in their name, leaving them to pick up the bill.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Users should challenge the identity of the caller as soon as the phone call starts. If they cannot prove who they are, hang up immediately.

Note ringing back on a provided number as “proof of identity” may put you back in touch with the scammers.

The person calling may pass you onto someone else (i.e. headings such as “systems administrator”, “systems manager”, “IT co-ordinator” and finally “line manager”) to create the illusion the phone call is real. Higher ranked titles may be used if the scammers think you are becoming suspicious.

Once the scammer realises they have been rumbled, they will often become abusive. The scammers in one instance inadvertently rang the New Zealand Police Force and told them to “F**k off” once rumbled.

Ring back on the proper helpline. If the call was genuine, then your Internet Service Provider will be able to confirm this.

The thing is you have to be really away with the fairies to fall for something like this.

I've used Teamviewer in the past for remote access and know exactly what you can do with it if if someone allows you remote access to their computer.

The thing is you have to be really away with the fairies to fall for something like this.

I've used Teamviewer in the past for remote access and know exactly what you can do with it if if someone allows you remote access to their computer.

I'd have thought there's a fairly large cohort of (for want of a better term) non-digital natives, who were already adults, and many of whom in their 30s and 40s before home computers (as we currently understand them, i.e. Windows 95 onwards) became mainstream, who are quite vulnerable to this type of scam, who are now being introduced to home computing, iPhones, iPads, etc by their children and grandchildren.

I'd have thought there's a fairly large cohort of (for want of a better term) non-digital natives, who were already adults, and many of whom in their 30s and 40s before home computers (as we currently understand them, i.e. Windows 95 onwards) became mainstream, who are quite vulnerable to this type of scam, who are now being introduced to home computing, iPhones, iPads, etc by their children and grandchildren.
I think 50s, 60s and 70s would be more likely. However, your point is valid.

They rang me in July, just let them prattle on for a while then told him do one, he then proceeded to threaten me.

"We know where you live and we know your name"

AND?

I kept these wankers going for about 40 minutes one night when I was bored shitless. Really curious as to how they’d try and Scam me.

When I told them to fuck off there was about 4 of them on the call shouting insults down the phone such as ‘I fuck your mom’. They weren’t a happy bunch.

I kept these wankers going for about 40 minutes one night when I was bored shitless. Really curious as to how they’d try and Scam me.

When I told them to fuck off there was about 4 of them on the call shouting insults down the phone such as ‘I fuck your mom’. They weren’t a happy bunch.

Not @girojim's ma? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back