Robinson
Leach

Jimmy
Foakes
Rehan
Carse
Tongue
Jennings or another batter.

My early prediction for the squad.(although we took 19 last two times so could be a few more names)

Last edited:
Of all of the names in the OP, Dawson should be the guy to get a gig in India. I listened to him being interviewed the other night and when he was asked about England, he said he didn't give it any thought any more. He said he'd been in loads of England squads and hardly ever played, so he's decided to concentrate on enjoying playing domestic cricket instead of wasting his time sitting around with England not playing cricket. This attitude is working for him, because if there's any justice he ought to be county cricket's POTY, this year. He indicated that there had been some discussion about being a world cup reserve, but wouldn't be drawn on what was decided. He seemed much more interested in spending the rest of his career playing his part trying to win the county championship with Hants.

Dawson just isn’t sexy enough for want of a better word for this England setup. Too much of a traditional left arm spinner and batsman to be picked by McCullum and co. They’ll take Leach and Rehan with a couple of part time options like Jacks or Livingstone.

Crawley
Duckett
Pope
Root
Brook
Stokes
Bairstow
Woakes
Wood
Robinson
Leach (if fully fit)

Dawson -starts if Leach injured, Livingstone or Jacks, cook, Tongue, Ahmed, Jennings

Crawley
Duckett
Pope
Root
Brook
Stokes
Bairstow
Woakes
Wood
Robinson
Leach (if fully fit)

Dawson -starts if Leach injured, Livingstone or Jacks, cook, Tongue, Ahmed, Jennings
Not a chance were going in with only one frontline spinner. Be surprised if Woakes even in the squad he is horrendous away.

He's said as much he's focusing on playing at home in red ball going forward.

Dawson just isn’t sexy enough for want of a better word for this England setup. Too much of a traditional left arm spinner and batsman to be picked by McCullum and co. They’ll take Leach and Rehan with a couple of part time options like Jacks or Livingstone.
Whenever I've seen him play internationally he just doesn't look quite good enough in either discipline. Maybe that's come on a bit in the last couple of years.

But I suspect they'd be more likely to pick Jack's or Livingstone, not because they're sexier but they will move the game on quicker.

Is Leach even fit? Dawson should definitely go:

Crawley
Duckett
Stokes
Root
Brook
Bairstow
Jacks
Dawson
Robinson
Wood
Jimmy

Would be my side

Crawley
Duckett
Stokes
Root
Brook
Bairstow
Jacks
Dawson
Robinson
Wood
Jimmy

Would be my side
Decent, I might go Woakes over Anderson for some of the matches, but I just dont believe this team will leave Pope out (though I agree with your top 6). Maybe Livingston for Jacks as toss up of they want some leg spin variety.

Not a chance were going in with only one frontline spinner. Be surprised if Woakes even in the squad he is horrendous away.

He's said as much he's focusing on playing at home in red ball going forward.
Since it’s probably the only way to get Brook into the side without leaving out the captain or the vice captain, which strikes me as even less likely, they’ll at least be thinking about it.

And the thing is, if we get the joke wickets we had for the last two tests last time we might get away with it as Root turns it enough to be effective on that sort of surface and his lack of control matters less. And if we get more sensible wickets reducing the English spinner to their more customary hold one end up role you might only need one. So it’s not necessarily crackers.

Decent, I might go Woakes over Anderson for some of the matches, but I just dont believe this team will leave Pope out (though I agree with your top 6). Maybe Livingston for Jacks as toss up of they want some leg spin variety.
Woakes would be a poor selection. If they don’t leave Pope out then they look a bowler short, he should be the spare batsman. The likes of Atkinson/Carse possibly get their first call ups to the test side also

Crawley
Duckett
Stokes
Root
Brook
Bairstow
Jacks
Dawson
Robinson
Wood
Jimmy

Would be my side
Jacks is not good enough as a second spinner so hopefully Leach is fit.

Would probably expect Rehan instead of Jacks in the event. He's a good enough batsman.

I can't see them not picking the vice captain.
Since it’s probably the only way to get Brook into the side without leaving out the captain or the vice captain, which strikes me as even less likely, they’ll at least be thinking about it.

And the thing is, if we get the joke wickets we had for the last two tests last time we might get away with it as Root turns it enough to be effective on that sort of surface and his lack of control matters less. And if we get more sensible wickets reducing the English spinner to their more customary hold one end up role you might only need one. So it’s not necessarily crackers.
Aussies had Lyon,Murphy and Kunnehmann for their series.

I'd expect more of the same.

Last edited:
Dawson has the South Africa T20 in January so unlikely would accept his England call up.

Wood has the ILT20 too. Sad times but you can't blame 33 year old players from choosing money instead, if they do choose this instead of playing for England. They'd have to play all 5 tests to make anywhere near close to the T20 money.

Don't blame them at all. Even then outside of the money.

Dawson unlucky there's always been Mo/Rashid ahead of him in whiteball
Then he really should have played the Ashes once Leach got injured.

Wood is always flirting with an injury that ends his career.

Last edited:
Dawson has the South Africa T20 in January so unlikely would accept his England call up.

Wood has the ILT20 too. Sad times but you can't blame 33 year old players from choosing money instead, if they do choose this instead of playing for England.

Don't blame them at all. Even then outside of the money.

Dawson unlucky there's always been Mo/Rashid ahead of him in whiteball
Then he really should have played the Ashes once Leach got injured.

Wood is always flirting with an injury that ends his career.

Can see woody doing similar to Trent Boult has and turn down a central contract and pick and choose when he plays going forwards i.e. not flogging himself to death in India - be quite a few done with ODIs after this World Cup as well

Dawson isn’t on a central contract so no brainer signing that franchise deal but suppose he might sack it off if England want him in India
Edit - or maybe not

Last edited:

Back