Inappropriate Support Bands?

They are one of my favourite bands, so I didn’t really care, but Skinny Lister were an odd choice to support Less Than Jake back in 2022, especially with The Toasters being the other support act so they were followed by a double helping of 3rd wave Ska.

The Vandoliers supported the Less Than Jake and Bowling for Soup co-headline tour that I was at last night as well (BFS are boring as shit, but I unashamedly love LTJ). On recorded material it seems an odd fit, an alt-country band supporting a ska-punk/pop-punk co-headline, but they pulled it off live!

Last edited:
I reckon I could have the winner here. I once saw Vera Lynn supporting Hawkwind.

Remembering the time the late Dame Vera Lynn played an anti-heroin gig with Hawkwind and Lemmy
I was there! It was day we lost at Crystal Palace and I went to the gig afterwards.
I had my windscreen wipers nicked off the car too.
Saw U2, when they started off supporting Altered Images.
Claire Crogan drew a much bigger crowd than Bonio...
I saw Altered Images support U2 back in 1981.

Last edited:
I once saw Nine Inch Nails being second support act whilst PJ Harvey were first support act for ... oh fuck it I don't remember but they must have left no mark on history if I can't remember them.

Sorry I can't be more help but I was actually there to support the (first on) third support act, so I might have been rather pissed by the time the headliners came on stage.

There was a time in the 70s when Amazing Blondel seem to support a load of rock bands (Genesis, Procul Harum, Free etc etc). They played lutes and mandolins etc iirc and were probably one of yer typical medieval folk acoustic act named after a Richard I’s personal minstrel that were so prevalent during the rock era.

Primal Scream has previous with this sort of thing.

Playing before Metallica and System of a Down in Leeds in 2003, when the crowd were looking bored and didn't really react to them, Bobby Gillespie started insulting the entire crowd. "What's the matter? Are we not metal enough for you? You unwashed c*nts!"

How is he going to react when Alice's crowd does the same?
Was just typing this out then googled the line up to make sure I hadn’t got mixed up. That was the first year I went to Leeds festival. Main stage on the Friday Metallica, System of a Down, Good Charlotte, Sum 41, Lostprophets and Primal Scream 😂

I once saw Nine Inch Nails being second support act whilst PJ Harvey were first support act for ... oh fuck it I don't remember but they must have left no mark on history if I can't remember them.

Sorry I can't be more help but I was actually there to support the (first on) third support act, so I might have been rather pissed by the time the headliners came on stage.
Nine Inch Nails were second on the bill between openers Carter USM and The Wonder Stuff in Paris on 3rd Sep 1991.

Back