I'm going to sound like a conspiracy nut, but...

They could just pretend to do it again
My worry is if a flat earther gets on a space mission, they'll say the moon is flat. Like a lump of extra mature wotsit.
Waste of time, there is nowt there, no atmosphere, cold and unhospitable.. Bit like Wolverhampton.

I'd rather they invested in exploring the approx 4/5ths of the oceans that haven't been explored.
I've been to Wolverhampton. Think we got a last minute 1-1 draw, courtesy of Superkev, iirc.

Fair point mind. If an asteroid hit earth and you lived in a globe under the sea, you're not gonna be worried about a Tsunami. And think of all the Calamari.

Last edited:
Waste of time, there is nowt there, no atmosphere, cold and unhospitable.. Bit like Wolverhampton.

I'd rather they invested in exploring the approx 4/5ths of the oceans that haven't been explored.
It’s just easier to explore space isn’t it? Maybe something will be found in space that can be used to withstand the pressure of the oceans?

It’s just easier to explore space isn’t it? Maybe something will be found in space that can be used to withstand the pressure of the oceans?

Unfortunately, it’s a completely different prospect. Where we are on earth, we experience the mass due to gravity of one atmosphere. In space there is 0 atmospheric pressure (a vacuum).

The pressure where the Titan Submersible imploded is nearly 50x that what we experience.

In space the pressure difference is small and is pushing outwards from inside a spacecraft.

Underwater, the pressure is huge (certainly at those depths) and from the outside placing a compresssive force in the outside.

You are right stating going to space is easier!

Unfortunately, it’s a completely different prospect. Where we are on earth, we experience the mass due to gravity of one atmosphere. In space there is 0 atmospheric pressure (a vacuum).

The pressure where the Titan Submersible imploded is nearly 50x that what we experience.

In space the pressure difference is small and is pushing outwards from inside a spacecraft.

Underwater, the pressure is huge (certainly at those depths) and from the outside placing a compresssive force in the outside.

You are right stating going to space is easier!
Aye, I mean it’s not going to happen overnight, but maybe at some point material will be found/mined/transported back to Earth that withstands that pressure.

Won’t happen in any of our lifetimes though.

Well it’s not an either or scenario to be honest. Both can be funded. Same reason why the worlds governments don’t take a firm stance against oil, too much money involved.

If they found deposits of oil/gold/cheese/bitcoin/lego something sellable, on the moon, they would be there tomorrow
the moon has untapped and unmeasured amounts of hydrogen and oxygen at the poles. it has massive amounts of rare metals and undiscovered minerals. But it'll probably be commerce that mines it rather than a government. India, Japan, Russia and China have all committed to have manned moon bases. The yanks are looking likely to leave it to Musk and Co.. There are currently no 'real' legal principals governing mining of the moon. Its likely to happen in the next decade though.

Why don't they just do what they did in 1969-1972? NASA don't have the technology apparently 🤔

I don’t think it’s a technology issue. It’s a budget and funding issue.

Going to the moon is extremely expensive and there’s little to no return on that investment, since there’s nothing there.

The return on investment during the Cold War was obviously a propaganda victory, and the development of advanced missile delivery systems under the pretence of exploration. These are not things which require an inordinate amount of funding in 2023.

So unless the intention is to go beyond what has previously been achieved, like building a moon base as a launchpad towards interplanetary mining or something, which of course would cost a hell of a lot of money and require advanced technologies to implement those goals which weren’t available in the sixties or seventies, there’s no reason to.

Back