If we are ever going to go with 2 spinners its now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back on topic

1 for 90 and a dropped catch

Havent seen much of the action to comment on whether it was a good move or not

Can't work out whether his figures today are disapointing or I should cut him some slack as he's had to bowl 33 overs on the first day of a test match.

Probably somewhere in between, mind I'm not sure where the commentators are getting this "He's a different bowler" craic from, he varies his pace a bit but his length and general variations are no different to 6 years ago..

Can't work out whether his figures today are disapointing or I should cut him some slack as he's had to bowl 33 overs on the first day of a test match.

Probably somewhere in between, mind I'm not sure where the commentators are getting this "He's a different bowler" craic from, he varies his pace a bit but his length and general variations are no different to 6 years ago..

first test for ages, bowled all day against players who are good against spin and with a bit more luck would have had more wickets. decent return id say.

from what i watched he is much more willing to toss the ball up these days, which is definitely a good thing.

swann got the wickets today, which youd expect from the best spinner in the world at present, but panesar out bowled him for large parts today. (swann bowled way too short for these pitches, particularly in the first two sessions).

first test for ages, bowled all day against players who are good against spin and with a bit more luck would have had more wickets. decent return id say.

from what i watched he is much more willing to toss the ball up these days, which is definitely a good thing.

swann got the wickets today, which youd expect from the best spinner in the world at present, but panesar out bowled him for large parts today. (swann bowled way too short for these pitches, particularly in the first two sessions).

Fair enough, you make good points. I've never been a huge Panesar fan as I've always found him slightly predictable and if a batsman gets on top of him he struggles to win the battle, however he offers a good compliment to an attacking bowler like Swann and he can do the donkey work Swann usually has to. I just hope England aren't afraid to pick them both in future when the pitch may require it.

Fair enough, you make good points. I've never been a huge Panesar fan as I've always found him slightly predictable and if a batsman gets on top of him he struggles to win the battle, however he offers a good compliment to an attacking bowler like Swann and he can do the donkey work Swann usually has to. I just hope England aren't afraid to pick them both in future when the pitch may require it.

he'll never be a great as he doesnt have enough weapons in his arsenal but he can do a job on decks which need wicket to wicket bowling. he got the odd few today to turn square as well.

as i said, before he used to toss one up, go for 6, and then resort to throwing darts. he seems to have changed and will toss the ball up even after it has gone the journey.

I always thought you were a big 'Monty' man?

I am a big Monty fan, but as you have seen over a number of years most notably Bell I dont advocate dropping people after losing a test match. Very unfair on Monty to pick him after a drubbing

I think many on here are being very blaze about our batting. We have fundamental weaknesses against spin on Asian wickets.

I am a big Monty fan, but as you have seen over a number of years most notably Bell I dont advocate dropping people after losing a test match. Very unfair on Monty to pick him after a drubbing

I think many on here are being very blaze about our batting. We have fundamental weaknesses against spin on Asian wickets.

We haven't picked him out of panic, we picked him because Tremlett was injured. Therefore a spot came available and the selectors thought Panesar was the best option.

thank christ we didnt drop a batsman to accomodate Monty

Get rolled cheaply and drop a batsman for the next test...baffling

absolutely ludicrous suggestion from the outset now being bought home to roost

thank christ we didnt drop a batsman to accomodate Monty

Get rolled cheaply and drop a batsman for the next test...baffling

absolutely ludicrous suggestion from the outset now being bought home to roost

And again...we haven't dropped anyone for Panesar, he's merely replaced Tremlett. Who is injured. And has come home.

I know but some people on here before Tremletts injury wanted Morgan dropped to accomodate an extra bowler

Madness and very naive

Can see the sense in that because Tremlett is decent with the bat, so would only leave the 'two number 11s' we have now.

Once it was announced Tremlett was going home, no-one would have suggested what you're saying.

Can see the sense in that because Tremlett is decent with the bat, so would only leave the 'two number 11s' we have now.

Once it was announced Tremlett was going home, no-one would have suggested what you're saying.

Dress it up how you like, the fact people at one stage were going to drop a batsman for another bowler illustrates the arrogance and naivety of some on here

Dress it up how you like, the fact people at one stage were going to drop a batsman for another bowler illustrates the arrogance and naivety of some on here

Most were advocating dropping a batsman for a batsman who can bowl (Patel/Bopara).

Without Bresnan it was never going to be anywhere near feasible to play with 5 front line batsmen and Prior.

4 for 120 in the game then plus 0 with the bat and a dropped catch ;)

Average of 30 overall, which could/should come down.

An expected number 11 batting performance.

And drops happen.

Not bad Monty.

Not as good as Broad, but a very good Test thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back