If (hah) we don't go up - who do we want down from PL and up out of Champ?

CBeeeee

Reserve Squad
Assuming we want the weakest Championship I think its clear?

Up - Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. Definitely don't want Hull or Ipswich going up as I think they will implode with FFP next year (esp Hull). And down? Unless one team absolutely collapses like Everton or Forest then its the 3 promoted last time. Next years champ feels substantially weaker than this years.

Up - Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. Definitely don't want Hull or Ipswich going up as I think they will implode with FFP next year (esp Hull). And down? Unless one team absolutely collapses like Everton or Forest then its the 3 promoted last time. Next years champ feels substantially weaker than this years.
If it's the same 3 up and down, then I think next year is weaker with more play off spaces to fight for.

Genuinely not fussed as I don’t think it’ll have that much of an impact on us. We won’t challenge for promotion any time soon unless the model changes.
I understand where you are coming from and this is a low ebb in the current management. But if the board feels that the championship is genuinely weaker then there is greater incentive for the investment we want. I agree that if in a low quality league the board fail to respond then the model needs adjusting.

The Mags down from the Premier.

Promoted- don’t care.

Luton,Sheff U, Burnley will all come down. I would have wanted Everton just because I’m weird like that. As for the teams going up Leeds, Leicester,Southampton. Has there been a season when all 3 promoted and relegated teams from the prem to the championship and the other way ever all swapped places again after 1 season
In fact I’m goi g to,start a pointless thread on it.

Luton,Sheff U, Burnley will all come down. I would have wanted Everton just because I’m weird like that. As for the teams going up Leeds, Leicester,Southampton. Has there been a season when all 3 promoted and relegated teams from the prem to the championship and the other way ever all swapped places again after 1 season
In fact I’m goi g to,start a pointless thread on it.
I think there's a possibility Luton might survive on the basis of additional point deductions for Forest and Everton. I think fairly indifferent between Luton and Forest. Burnley firmly in yo-yo club territory so would expect them to be strong next year though not on scale of any of the current 3 relegated teams. Sheff Utd - not sure there is much to fear there?

I think there's a possibility Luton might survive on the basis of additional point deductions for Forest and Everton. I think fairly indifferent between Luton and Forest. Burnley firmly in yo-yo club territory so would expect them to be strong next year though not on scale of any of the current 3 relegated teams. Sheff Utd - not sure there is much to fear there?
As much as I would normally agree regards Sheff U I do however think with the parachute money they could blow teams like ourselves out of the water on transfer fees and wages and thus end up blitzing it in the championship.

As much as I would normally agree regards Sheff U I do however think with the parachute money they could blow teams like ourselves out of the water on transfer fees and wages and thus end up blitzing it in the championship.
Probably always going to have that risk with parachute payments as they currently stand. You just have to hope they blow it and I can see them (more than Burnley) doing that. What you really want is some basket case club who has spent future parachute payments on a gamble to stay up (us last time)

If it was that simple it would happen every year. We didn't manage it a few years back. And it's being commented how unusual it is if all 6 swap places again.

I would be surprised that if Luton, Burnley and Sheff U go down they would all go back up.

Often a manager is sacked upon relegation so it would be important to get the right person in. Keep the right players from the year before but lose some of the ones who aren't arsed about playing in the championship. A few things have to go right

Probably always going to have that risk with parachute payments as they currently stand. You just have to hope they blow it and I can see them (more than Burnley) doing that. What you really want is some basket case club who has spent future parachute payments on a gamble to stay up (us last time)
Sheffield untied will be in financial trouble next season probably sell all their best players. I don’t think Sheffield untied will be anywhere near the top 6 in the championship next season

Genuinely not fussed as I don’t think it’ll have that much of an impact on us. We won’t challenge for promotion any time soon unless the model changes.
This may as well just be copied and pasted as the first reply to any thread that’s started over any section of the forum. Photography, fitness, betting.

Just to completely nullify any discussion that’s not about the f***ing model

Whoever comes down will have a massive advantage with Parachute Payments o it might be slightly better that someone currently living beyond their means, like Everton or Forest, come down as they will be more likely to struggle to shed their bloat and become a threat.

Up
Leicester Leeds Soton
Down
Luton Sheffield U Burnley

Up from league one
Someone northern with a big allocation, although Portsmouth are in the driving seat for automatic

next year's all about processing the income from peddling the likes of clarke patto and the two dans there and consolidating a top half finish. 25-26'll be earmarked for a play-off surge. imo there

Up would be the three recently relegated teams. They have parachute payments, it makes sense.

I also think a fair few of the other challenging around there will be done in by FFP if they don't go up (Hull, Cov, Norwich and potentially Ipswich will have to slow down)

Down. Everton because I like Goodison and it's the final year potentially. Also it'd be funny to see them finally fall (even though I do like them as a club).

Then Sheff and Burnley are guaranteed (both are in serious financial difficulties as well)

I think next year's league will be far easier for us to compete in IF were prepared to spend some of the financial headroom we've created recently.

Sheff U couldn't spend any PL money because of the massive issues they're in. Their owner said had they not been promoted last season they were going into administration.

I think when they come down those parachute payments are being swallowed up in debt repayments.

Last edited:
Is Sheffield Uniteds' financial position that dire? From a footballing point of view they'd walk promotion next season imo. No major stars that they're likely to lose. Two Championship goalscorers in Archer and McBurnie and Hamer who was a stand out in the last few years with Coventry. Think they'd be fine unless they have to sell everyone to survive?

Makes no odds who comes down they’ll still have a big wedge of cash to survive a season or two with the stronger squads to maybe get promoted again.
The madness of football atm

Back