Ice Hockey/Durham Wasps/Billingham

I can honestly say I was one of the people ever to play in a Durham Wasps shirt, on the Durham ice pad, Ok Ok the Hockey season was over and the rink was about to close down for good, but their was still the most important game of the eason still to play, it was the under 12s Dads Vs Lads game, played at the end of every season, and as usual the Mighty Durham Wasps would loan us their strip, and every year we got hammered, and I mean hammered in every sense of the word, far from it for me to say the Ref and Linesmen were biased, but if we even so much as leaned against the u12s, off to the sin bin for us, while they were allowed to knock seven bells of shit out of us, I shouldn't have yelled at my Grandson and the team all year to get their arse's into gear all the time, it was revenge time, but i wouldn't have missed that game for the world. I'm so proud of My Granson and his achievments, he still plays Rec Hockey now for Whitley at 34yrs old.

Thinking of taking the youngun down for the next match on Sunday. I noticed on the website it's just turn on first come first served. I guessing we'll have no bother getting in?
Where you going rob? Whitley or billingham?
you can buy tickets for Whitley now on the website but we normally get there about 4.00 and sometimes theres a small queue,but quicker if your paying cash

Are they still the "Steelers"?
Nah , be sheffield 3rd team .
Nowt wrong with that though , i prefer lower league hockey you get all shapes and sizes , some players that are really good at some parts of the game but struggle in others , some have good local young uns still playing with a grill against more mature blokes .

Last edited:
Nah , be sheffield 3rd team . Nowt wrong with that though , i prefer lower league hockey you get all shapes and sizes , some players that are really good at some parts of the game but struggle in others , some teams are well drilled and you can see it , others just come to thug it up . Deeside were a
No I meant are Sheffield still called the Steelers?

Used to love the Wasps

Once worked with a lad who played for Swindon Wildcats reserves. I fancied coming back for a game in the North East one weekend in the early 90s, and mentioned that Whitley Warriors were playing Swindon that weekend , and he gave me a lift and stayed with me at my parents, going to the footy on the Saturday and Ice Hockey on the Sunday evening. We drove back through the night as we were both at work on the Monday morning, It was a long drive back, around 3am I remember glancing across at him and he was just about to nod off at the wheel, the things you did as a young un, some were not so lucky.

Thinking of taking the youngun down for the next match on Sunday. I noticed on the website it's just turn on first come first served. I guessing we'll have no bother getting in?
You'll be fine queueing, some people turn up early to have choice of seats hence we bought season tickets to save the hassle. Home game double header this weekend with the Stars at home on Saturday then the Buccaneers at home on Sunday Buccaneers is £5 for adults and up to 2 kids get free entry I believe otherwise it's £2.50

Back