Ian Bell - Bookmark This Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

No matter how well he's playing I can't see it happening whilst he's batting no higher than 5. He simply won't get the time to build big innings.

There'll be a few regular number 5s in the ICC top 20 but I bet they're not threatening Tendulkar & Co.

I think this could well happen. Englands future looks rosy and they will be a top 3 team at least for the foreseeable future. Hes still young and is bound to move up the batting ofrder again at some stage.

I think this could well happen. Englands future looks rosy and they will be a top 3 team at least for the foreseeable future. Hes still young and is bound to move up the batting ofrder again at some stage.

I hope he doesnt move up the order, as a pair we have the best number 6 and number 7 in world cricket

I hope he doesnt move up the order, as a pair we have the best number 6 and number 7 in world cricket

Cricket isnt like that. Its a little bit autistic to think Bell has a great record at number 6 and a poor one at number 3 so he should stay there. Batting at 3 or 4 against a great Australian side and 6 against the Bangledeshi's early in his career partly contributed to that. He is technically as good as anyone and much stronger mentally - there will be a time when he moves up the order but with Trott and KP batting as they are theres no need for that at the moment.

Also for Bell personally to challenge himself, maximise his potential and try to become the best batsman he can be then he must move up the order at some stage

Cricket isnt like that. Its a little bit autistic to think Bell has a great record at number 6 and a poor one at number 3 so he should stay there. Batting at 3 or 4 against a great Australian side and 6 against the Bangledeshi's early in his career partly contributed to that. He is technically as good as anyone and much stronger mentally - there will be a time when he moves up the order but with Trott and KP batting as they are theres no need for that at the moment.

Also for Bell personally to challenge himself, maximise his potential and try to become the best batsman he can be then he must move up the order at some stage

you could argue Gilchrist could have moved up to 6 or even 5 at a push to challenge himself

leave Bell where he is, in the space of a year against 2 mediocre test sides and one very poor side, in your thoughts he has gone from should be dropped to now being the real deal and should be back up the order.

let him earn his spot up the order which means scoring bundles at 6 over a longer period

you could argue Gilchrist could have moved up to 6 or even 5 at a push to challenge himself

leave Bell where he is, in the space of a year against 2 mediocre test sides and one very poor side, in your thoughts he has gone from should be dropped to now being the real deal and should be back up the order.

let him earn his spot up the order which means scoring bundles at 6 over a longer period

Adam Gilchrist despite being an unbelievable batsmen with a phenomenal average never made it to number 1 in the world purely down to batting lower down. That was probably the best place for Gilchrist to bat but you cant have it both ways because Bell will never be number 1 in the world batting 6 for the rest of his career.

If Ian Bell does indeed become the number one ranked Test batsmen, wouldn't it be a cause for double celebration? Bell achieving fantastic levels of performance and an England side that has a world class player in the middle order?

If Ian Bell does indeed become the number one ranked Test batsmen, wouldn't it be a cause for double celebration? Bell achieving fantastic levels of performance and an England side that has a world class player in the middle order?

with the advent of Morgan to the test side instead of Colly, its just nice to have an englishman in the middle order

Adam Gilchrist despite being an unbelievable batsmen with a phenomenal average never made it to number 1 in the world purely down to batting lower down. That was probably the best place for Gilchrist to bat but you cant have it both ways because Bell will never be number 1 in the world batting 6 for the rest of his career.

Didn't Steve Waugh become world number one batting at five and six for most of his career?

Didn't Steve Waugh become world number one batting at five and six for most of his career?

Aye Waugh became number 1 in the world after a phenomenal series in the WI where he scored a shedload of runs batting at number 5 throughout including an unbeaten 200. I dont think he was ever number 1 in the world after that batting at 6. Its not impossible but the point remains the lower you bat the harder it is to get the massive scores you need to become world number 1.

you wouldnt get 8-1

more like about 4-1

:lol::lol:

Pretty sure Hussey has been ranked one and he has never come in any higher than 5

Miles off the mark again :lol: Hussey opened the batting in his first two tests and has done sparodically since. Hussey batted 4 in 3 of the 5 tests when we played them in 2006 and has batted above 5 stacks of times in his test career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back