I have to do a Covid test on myself

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5265

I've agreed to be part of the DHSC/Imperial College research study to test thousands of people randomly to see how widely it's circulating in the country. Apparently my name was chosen at random from the NHS list of patients with a GP - along with thousands of others. Anyway, I'm going to do it.

My test kit just arrived. I have to do it myself.

Has anyone done a test on themselves? Any tips?

I've agreed to be part of the DHSC/Imperial College research study to test thousands of people randomly to see how widely it's circulating in the country. Apparently my name was chosen at random from the NHS list of patients with a GP - along with thousands of others. Anyway, I'm going to do it.

Follow the instructions

Yes, I did the same trial test - just very straight forward - the instructions are clear. A little bit uncomfortable at the back of the throat but generally straight forward.
Yes, thank you. Helpful.

For everyone else, and specifically, does anyone have tips for overcoming the gagging reflex?
No, its going to happen but it really is a minor inconvenience - there's no getting over it because it needs to go that far back but, really, its really a minor problem - doesn't make you sick or give you a sore throat - the reality is not as bad as the fear of it.

Last edited:

Make sure you get it the right way round and put it up your nose after your throat . . .

I have done a test on myself and the only thing i can say is just go straight at it, if you start thinking about it you will make yourself gag and get nervous, i did a the test on my 7 year old for Imperial collage and he just got on with it, was defiantly uncomfortable for him but he just stood there like a trooper and did not moan at all, have some tissue handy to as my nose leaked for about 10 minutes after i done the nose part of the test

Everyone at a mobile testing site does there own test.

I have had 4 tests in total. 1 mobile and 3 in hospital. None of which were particularly pleasant 😀

Yes.... look in the mirror to make sure you swab the correct bit of your throat.

The hardest part for me was working out how to seal the envelope at the end, took me ages :).

Back