How to reduce your tax bill

Churchlanelad

Central Defender
Damien Hirst placemat drawings donated to British Museum
Damian Hirst has given some drawings to the British Museum, so what you might say, but because he is known he has been given a large tax exemption. The drawings are nothing special, probably something you or I could knock up in a couple of minutes. The BM uses artist speak to describe them, but it’s just guff. The final sentence in the article will make you smile.

The scheme is there to be used I guess. The upside is you have works of one of the most popular living artists available for all to see.

£90,000 in the scheme of things is probably less than the pictures will be worth once Hirst pops his clogs.

The example in the link looks like it was drawn by a child.
As I said in the first post, it’s something we could all draw, but because it is by a known artist and signed, it has a value. I have to say that I have never been a fan of Mr Hirst, as David Hockney said “Where’s the craft?”.

As I said in the first post, it’s something we could all draw, but because it is by a known artist and signed, it has a value. I have to say that I have never been a fan of Mr Hirst, as David Hockney said “Where’s the craft?”.
It was done on a napkin so I give a bit of leeway for that, but still.
Lowery used to draw on napkins in hotels and they looked like, well Lowery's.

At least he did draw it and not commission someone else to do it, as in the case of the jewelled skull.

My only claim to artistic fame is that when I was a lad, my dad used to take me to Seaburn on Sunday morning, and who should walk by, than LS Lowry. He was wearing a long Mac and a trilby and I recognised him and stared at him but did not dare open my mouth. He looked at me as he went past.

Last edited:
At least he did draw it and not commission someone else to do it, as in the case of the jewelled skull.

My only claim to artistic fame is that when I was a lad, my dad used to take me to Seaburn on Sunday morning, and who should walk by, than LS Lowry. He was wearing a long Mac and a trilby and I recognised him and stared at him but did not dare open my mouth. He looked at me as he went past.
It was the Seaburn hotel I was thinking of when I said he used to draw on napkins. I've just noticed I spelt his name wrong and he's a favourite artist of mine. Sorry Lawrence, incase you're looking down.
There's a lot of pretention and snobbery when it comes to art. On one of Noel Edmund's shows they got some kids to throw different coloured paints onto large canvases. The kids then rode their bikes through the paints.
The canvases were framed and hung in a gallery with hidden cameras. Art criticss and art lovers were invited to critique them and they thought they were brilliant works.
"He was going through his dark period when he painted these."
"The colours come out of the canvas."
"Its a montage of colour yet the colours flow into one."
Funny as fook but to their credit the critics laughed when they were told who had painted them.

Last edited:

Back