How long before we become just another league one club?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'd say if we don't go up this season we are at risk. At the moment we are still seen, by many, as too big for this league, and just having a blip. This is reflected in the fans anger when we failed to go up and look to be struggling again this season.
The moment we failed at Wembley that’s when we were just another league 1 club. With Ross in charge we had better get used to it.

Thing is that already it feels a bit like we are. One of the better ones probably but still just one of the pack. You certainly don't see us walking away with the league.
The players are very ordinary, the worst bunch talent-wise that we've ever had.

In fairness given where we are I’d expect them to be the worst bunch we’ve had in terms of talent.

Absolutely cannot see us walking away with the league. I don’t think he knows his best team or preferred formation and the football he’s been serving up barring the first 10 games of last season has been rubbish.

We don’t seem to have got to grips with a particular way of playing and I can only see playoffs at best this year.

In fairness given where we are I’d expect them to be the worst bunch we’ve had in terms of talent.

Absolutely cannot see us walking away with the league. I don’t think he knows his best team or preferred formation and the football he’s been serving up barring the first 10 games of last season has been rubbish.

We don’t seem to have got to grips with a particular way of playing and I can only see playoffs at best this year.

Agreed. But even after relegation in 1987 we had a few players that were way ahead of third tier level. I accept the financial mess this time was greater though.

I was going to start a thread on what happened to other "big clubs" when they dropped into L1. The answer is that generally it was a very short stay. We definitely won't be here for more than two to three years BUT we need to be proactive about getting out.....and that means exploiting your size, history and (relative) financial advantage. Unfortunately this season we're doing our very best to BE a League One club. The owners, the manager and some of the players seem very accepting of it.

Get Roy in.....he won't accept it and if the owners can't hack it they need to move on too.

If we stick with Ross we’ll never got out of this league.

Indeed. But when will we no longer be seen as a club who shouldn't be there? There will be a time when fans aren't expecting promotion or winning most weeks, in the same way we just hoped for the odd result in the top flight. Sooner than later we will also lose the pull we have in this league in terms of signings.

I was going to start a thread on what happened to other "big clubs" when they dropped into L1. The answer is that generally it was a very short stay. We definitely won't be here for more than two to three years BUT we need to be proactive about getting out.....and that means exploiting your size, history and (relative) financial advantage. Unfortunately this season we're doing our very best to BE a League One club. The owners, the manager and some of the players seem very accepting of it.

Get Roy in.....he won't accept it and if the owners can't hack it they need to move on too.

They don't all bounce out at first attempt. Leeds and Sheffield Utd didnt anyway.

Indeed. But when will we no longer be seen as a club who shouldn't be there? There will be a time when fans aren't expecting promotion or winning most weeks, in the same way we just hoped for the odd result in the top flight. Sooner than later we will also lose the pull we have in this league in terms of signings.
Stay here another 2 seasons and that’s when IMO. We’d have had more than enough time to get out of this dump league.

We already are in a way. We’ve actively worked to reduce the wage bill and pay off anyone that doesn’t fall into a league 1 wage category.

1 more season before other fans just look at us as a shite league 1 side (and probably players joining)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back