How do I get out of this?

My wife and kids are asking for ages can we get a dog. It's not practical. It would be left on its own all day 3 or 4 times a week. We have only 1 car, as I drive a van for work. If my wife takes the car to work, I only have the van & there's no room for a dog in the van. At all. We live on top of a hill, about 2 miles from the beach, so there is no way that my kids are going to to want to leave their friends & make that trek with the dog every time the car isn't there. I think those are quite logical reasons for not getting a dog. It simply wouldn't be fair.

Now, yesterday my wife told me that my daughter wants to ask Santy for a dog. The general rule in our gaff is that the kids can get 1 main present & a couple of small ones too.

How do I explain to a 5 year old girl that Santy isn't going to give her what she wants?

They'll probably eventually just grind me down & we'll end up getting one anyway. I'm wondering should I just give in now & be done with it. This might seem lighthearted to some people, but it's an absolutely huge decision to make.

Can you not get a different pet that needs less attention or time, guinea pigs are pretty good for this though you'll have to get two, amazing with kids, very loveable, entertaining and don't need much maintenance, also quite cheap as well.

Just say you spoke with santa and he thinks this would be a better idea as the dog would be very sad sat in by itself all day and hope that the kids understand but are equally buzzing with the alternative.

I would say don’t do it. You are signing up for a lot of responsibility. It’s not fair on the dog if what you describe is right. You’re the adult here, you make the big decisions, not a 5 y/o. Even going on holiday can add £200-£300 because you have to pay for a boarder etc. I love our dog to bits, but when she dies, she’ll be the last until I retire.

My wife and kids are asking for ages can we get a dog. It's not practical. It would be left on its own all day 3 or 4 times a week. We have only 1 car, as I drive a van for work. If my wife takes the car to work, I only have the van & there's no room for a dog in the van. At all. We live on top of a hill, about 2 miles from the beach, so there is no way that my kids are going to to want to leave their friends & make that trek with the dog every time the car isn't there. I think those are quite logical reasons for not getting a dog. It simply wouldn't be fair.

Now, yesterday my wife told me that my daughter wants to ask Santy for a dog. The general rule in our gaff is that the kids can get 1 main present & a couple of small ones too.

How do I explain to a 5 year old girl that Santy isn't going to give her what she wants?

They'll probably eventually just grind me down & we'll end up getting one anyway. I'm wondering should I just give in now & be done with it. This might seem lighthearted to some people, but it's an absolutely huge decision to make.
Tell the bairn Santy isn't real and she isn't getting a dog.

Can you not get a different pet that needs less attention or time, guinea pigs are pretty good for this though you'll have to get two, amazing with kids, very loveable, entertaining and don't need much maintenance, also quite cheap as well.

Just say you spoke with santa and he thinks this would be a better idea as the dog would be very sad sat in by itself all day and hope that the kids understand but are equally buzzing with the alternative.
Guinea pigs??

I'd prefer the dog. ;)

Nah seriously, I actually like dogs, we had one for 12 years up until last year. I just don't necessarily want a pet at all.

You can’t just get an animal that you know won’t be looked after properly because you’ve caved in to a 5 year old.

That said, if you have a trustworthy local dog walker or day care (loads about these days) and can afford it then that might be an option…

I would say don’t do it. You are signing up for a lot of responsibility. It’s not fair on the dog if what you describe is right. You’re the adult here, you make the big decisions, not a 5 y/o. Even going on holiday can add £200-£300 because you have to pay for a boarder etc. I love our dog to bits, but when she dies, she’ll be the last until I retire.
My brother would mind the dog when we go on holiday. He did so with the last one.

It looks like I'm looking for reasons to get one now, but I'm just giving balance.
If it’s gonna be left on it’s own all day in a crate 3/4 times a week and not walked enough simply say no, not fair at all on the pooch fred.
I agree. It wouldn't be in a crate though. We have a handy enough size garden, in fairness. But it would be on its own.

Last edited:
A swift backhander to show them who's the boss with a firm no.

Just tell them Santa isn't real so he cannit bring one. Or dogs are claustrophobic and don't like scuttling down chimneys.

Not got space in the front of the van to have the dog with you some days? Otherwise, yeah you're right - leaving it on it's own all day isn't a good life for a dog, just explain that 'this sad feeling you've got because we can't have a dog, the dog would feel the same every day because we've got to leave it on it's own and you wouldn't want the dog to be sat at home all day, crying, missing them'. Kids are easy to guilt trip, just lay it on thick.

I agree. It wouldn't be in a crate though. We have a handy enough size garden, in fairness. But it would be on its own.
Ah I read that wrong mate thought it said crate, still not fair imo mate. Tell them Santy said no dogs that will be left alone and when it doesn’t get walked he’ll come down the chimney and brutally murder it.

Last edited:
You can’t just get an animal that you know won’t be looked after properly because you’ve caved in to a 5 year old.

That said, if you have a trustworthy local dog walker or day care (loads about these days) and can afford it then that might be an option…
People who put their dogs into those sort of establishments are just fuckin mental. In my opinion.

Back