How close have all you other Ops ever been to dying. And having survived what lessons did you learn?

16 hours ago neighbour found me collapsed in garage. Currently on oxygen and getting assessed in hospital, see the time can't sleep. Apparently had blood clot pass through heart hence collapse. If clot had split I wouldn't be writing this. Hopefully get better news later after scans that no long term damage. Fingers crossed.
Good luck mate and speedy recovery.

heart attack 13 years ago straight after a run ,stents fitted then everything in moderation now.I cycle and walk ,played walking footie until the ankles complained ,Never feel old is my motto plenty of time to be a couch potato later i'm only 73
Do you know how to do CPR ?

About 10 years back, during our eldest lad's first tour in Afghanistan, a local scrote decided it would be 'fun' (mint, ellish, only having a laff, man) to throw eggs and fruit at our youngest's bedroom window around midnight every night. As you can imagine, emotions were fraught without this kind of thing happening and, after a few nights of fruitless calls to the Police, and personal visits to the home of the lad in question something snapped, namely me.

After spotting him throwing yet more eggs, I shouted for the missus to phone the Police (again), legged it downstairs, out the front door and round to his house where, absolutely raging, I somehow managed to punch through the double-glazed unit on his front door. That actually didn't cause too much damage too me - pulling my arm back through did.

I ended up with a hole in my wrist that you could put the fingers of the other hand all the way through, like threading a needle. Blood was pumping out of this hole with every heartbeat. I can remember thinking 'that'll take more than a few stitches to fix'.

I made it back home, shouting for my missus to phone an ambulance. I remember stopping myself from going into the house because we'd just re-decorated and had new carpets put down and didn't want to ruin them with blood (how stupid is that?) so I went back down the drive and sat on the path with my back to the house and my little lad, who was standing in the doorway, shouting for me. I can remember thinking I was a gonner and wouldn't turn around because I didn't want his last memory of me being me covered in blood and dying.

A neighbours wife heard me shouting and came running out, tied a tea towel around my wrist, and then her husband broke all speed records getting me to A&E in his newly-valetted car. I remember passing a Police car going in the opposite direction, blue lights flashing, and thinking 'he's heading to ours'. I think he saved my life, at least in my eyes, anyway.

Turned out I had severed both main ligaments in the wrist, the main nerve to my hand, and one of the arteries in my wrist (who knew there were two?). They re-attached the ligaments, did their best with the nerves (still have issues with lack of feeling in part of my hand), and tied-off the severed artery - you can get by with one.

Off work for two months - obviously couldn't drive - with months more physio on top.

In a way, I'm glad I never got hold of the little b@st@rd because I was so revved up, god knows what I would have done to him.

Passed out in front of my mam while at hers for my tea. Woke up with paramedics, police and a doctor surrounding me. Apparently I had a fit and then starting booting off when I came round (can't remember any of it)

Was blue lighted to south shields hospital where the doctors didn’t really have an idea what was wrong. A young junior doctor had an idea to give me a CT scan where they found a massive brain tumor in the back of my head.

Was blue lighted to the freeman where I had an immediate operation to fit a tube to relive all the fluid in my skull and then the next day I had a 10 hour operation to remove the tumor, then spent a week in intensive care. Apparently I had a matter of days or hours where I would of passed out and never woken up again. Was also really lucky to make a full recovery with zero side effects, normally people who have tumors like that in the place I did, will loose some sort of motor function or speech

10 years this month it happened. Very lucky and very thankful.

I hear that. I've always had issues with it. Still do now to a certain extent.
When I was little I had to speak to a counsellor from the RVI
I suppose growing up being told you had cancer and nearly died and knowing it, and having a constant reminder of it can affect you somewhat!

The things that concern me, apart from the dying bit are:

If it’s very quick, not being able to say goodbye to my kids and knowing that aren’t really provided for currently - although I know my extended family would make sure that they didn’t end up homeless.

If it’s a disease then I worry about not dealing very well with it. A colleague lost a friend who died in his house because he couldn’t face leaving it for the last time to go to the hospice. I get that. And again I worry about my kids.

I’ve seen people on here face diseases with tremendous courage and don’t think I could ever do that, and that embarrasses me.

And now I’ve ruined my night.

Its how I die that concerns me, not so much dying in itself.

ie quick death. To die slowly with a debilitating disease like MND for instance does concern me though.

I can never understand these people who do base jumping and all that malarkey. I read a few months back that some British fella had been killed having jumped off a mountain in his wingsuit. I am sorry for their families and all that but it's a bloody stupid thing to do as the chances are that you will end up dead and they must be well aware of that. Life can be hazardous enough as it is why tempt fate?

They get a rush from it.

I can never understand these people who do base jumping and all that malarkey. I read a few months back that some British fella had been killed having jumped off a mountain in his wingsuit. I am sorry for their families and all that but it's a bloody stupid thing to do as the chances are that you will end up dead and they must be well aware of that. Life can be hazardous enough as it is why tempt fate?
What do you like doing? What gives you the biggest adrenaline rush?

For me it's skiing fast. Walking along a ridge close to the edge. Riding my (now sold) motorbike fast.

It's the things that push the boundary out of the ordinary.

Bungee off bloukrans Bridge I think tops it for me

16 hours ago neighbour found me collapsed in garage. Currently on oxygen and getting assessed in hospital, see the time can't sleep. Apparently had blood clot pass through heart hence collapse. If clot had split I wouldn't be writing this. Hopefully get better news later after scans that no long term damage. Fingers crossed.
Shit. Hope you get good news mate

The things that concern me, apart from the dying bit are:

If it’s very quick, not being able to say goodbye to my kids and knowing that aren’t really provided for currently - although I know my extended family would make sure that they didn’t end up homeless.

If it’s a disease then I worry about not dealing very well with it. A colleague lost a friend who died in his house because he couldn’t face leaving it for the last time to go to the hospice. I get that. And again I worry about my kids.

I’ve seen people on here face diseases with tremendous courage and don’t think I could ever do that, and that embarrasses me.

And now I’ve ruined my night.

You don't know how strong you are until you're tested.
Mrs K says you're only given what you can deal with.
I think that's a great philosophy.

We were in Switzerland, and I had planned to go canyoning but the weather changed, so we decided to go to Italy early, the tour I was going on was the one were 18 people were drowned , we drove down from grindelwald to interlaken as the bodies were moving down the river to the lake, found out what happened while driving, had to stop the car while it sank in how close I was to death I had been.
When I 1st scanned through that I thought it read crayoning I thought wtf could go wrong there :lol:

Back