HMV goes into administration for the second time in 6 years

HMV goes into administration for second time in six years

Hopefully a buyer can be found and the jobs saved.
Jesus, though their business plan has left a lot to be desired. They needed to move away from physical stuff. Still rental and car parking charges ain’t helping the high street at all. I never go in ours.

Surely they must do other products though? Theres no way they could survive doing cd's and dvd's only. They'd go the way of Blockbusters
I have but Amazon is cheaper, they are too expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology has fucked them really, especially the likes of spotify and amazon music. Everything is instant for one monthly fee
Yep, my mam has chucked her CD player for amazon music. She loves it.

I still buy cds but can't think why anyone would still buy dvds like.

I wandered into HMV in newcastle yesterday, first time in a very long time and was amazed that they had shelves heaving with dvds & bluerays... ironically the vinyl department seemed to the busiest as if i'd been transported back to the mid-80s...

Nothing to do with Brexit though....

everything to do with online streaming of audio & video... netflix, spoty, apple music, amazon prime et al...

Its a shrinking market but still a market .Like Fat mike said the High st needs protecting .

He would say it needs protecting, mainly to provide longevity to his own interests.

I’m unsure if the high street does have a future, certainly in the medium term as online shopping is far easier and the likes of Amazon can deliver to your door within a day.

What I would caveat to that statement is that in the UK, the high street has not reacted well to the shift away from browsing shops and footfall decline. I’ve said it before, other cultures open until late on an evening and the entire local economy benefits as people go shopping, have a site to eat and maybe a drink too. In the modern working world of Monday Nine to Five, the shops are open when people are at work and closed when people are not.

Back