HMS Hood

The Rodney and Nelson had 16" guns. I served on a ship that had 6" guns. If you were caught taking a Shite in the for'ard heads when one was fired , you ended up covered in rust and paint chips . True dit.

They had a 16" gun inside Fort Nelson, but it was a rail mounted howitzer. Nowt to do with ships. Canny impressive nonetheless mind.

I think the shell that sunk Glorious was the longest that's ever been fired from a battleship and ended up hitting the target.

f***ing hell what a great read that is. You wonder how we won when you read stuff like that. And to think the Germans got access to French iron ore just weeks later too!!

Those brave pilots saving all the hurricanes too only to see them all sink.

f***ing hell what a great read that is. You wonder how we won when you read stuff like that. And to think the Germans got access to French iron ore just weeks later too!!

very brave - but i (and them as well no doubt) would have sacrificed all those hurricanes and then some if it had meant a competent CO had a ready patrol of even 3 planes either spotted on deck or actually flying

you'd replace a squadron of hurricanes in about a week, a fleet carrier in about 3 years

very brave - but i (and them as well no doubt) would have sacrificed all those hurricanes and then some if it had meant a competent CO had a ready patrol of even 3 planes either spotted on deck or actually flying

you'd replace a squadron of hurricanes in about a week, a fleet carrier in about 3 years

The Admiral on the Devonshire too - what a no win scenario he had. Help the Glorious or take his Royal Cargo to safety. From the log he was obviously of the mind to help but must have thought better of it.

Shocking the scale of the cover up and that it was the Germans who revealed the heroics of Ardent and Acasta

I think the shell that sunk Glorious was the longest that's ever been fired from a battleship and ended up hitting the target.

Thanks for that, something I never knew about.

Tragic.. and concerning to find out that two of the Admirals involved were nick-named "Nutty" and "Wrong-Way"

Tragic.. and concerning to find out that two of the Admirals involved were nick-named "Nutty" and "Wrong-Way"

Useless c*nts with big mouths and powerful friends often prosper in the armed forces - during peacetime!

They very quickly get found out during any prolonged conflict, although many 'soldiered' manfully on in WW1.

Thankfully, the British managed to rotate many of the incompetents early in WW2

Back