Hinny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a term of endearment which is used usually when addressing a women and is common because husbands dont take offence, however, my brother in law calls everyone hinny including men

Hear hinny all the time being a Sandy.

'Scullery', now there's a word you never hear these days.

My Nanna called everyone she liked hinny and heed
Its a term of endearment which is used usually when addressing a women and is common because husbands dont take offence, however, my brother in law calls everyone hinny including men
spot on Heeeed. I was brought up in Wingate and me Nanna always said it. Not so much my mam so guess it's dying out.

(1) A "hinny" is actually a cross between a male horse and a female donkey...
( a mule being the hybrid of a female horse and male donkey)
(2) a girl weighing over 20 stone who thinks she is hot shit but has absolutely no right in doing so
(3) local pronunciation of "honey". A term of endearment applied usually to women and children. Often used together with the similar word canny.

Where hest thee been, ma canny hinney?
An' where hest thee been, ma bonny bairn?
Aw was up and doon seekin' for ma hinney;
Aw was thro' the toon seekin' for ma bairn.

(from The Collier's Pay Week.)
See also: "Keep yer feet still Geordie Hinny" by Joe Wilson

A hinny is a girdle cake or scone from the NE. Usually Northumberland, as in singin' hinnies. We had them all the time.

It's a term of endearment unless you prefer the offspring of a male horse and a female donkey.

the Easington Lane and Thornley denizens i know use it. what's it meant to be, a less creep version of honey or summet?

usually just reply back with, alreet cher, in-keeping with the colloquialisms like

Basically this. Lass I know from Easington says it every other f***ing word.

A hinny is a girdle cake or scone from the NE. Usually Northumberland, as in singin' hinnies. We had them all the time.

It's a term of endearment unless you prefer the offspring of a male horse and a female donkey.
we were fron hendon, like... and we called them Ned-cakes

(3) local pronunciation of "honey". A term of endearment applied usually to women and children.

All the reference books including the OED say this, yet I've never heard anyone in the north east pronounce honey - as in the stuff bees make - as hinny.

There's a school of thought that it comes from the Old English 'hina', meaning a female, from where the English word 'hen' originates. People in the north east also call each other 'hen'.

Last time I saw or heard the word used was on a number plate, M3 H11Ny. I'm not usually one for private plated but that one made me smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back