Here we go again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a reasonable degree of scepticism on all this is fair enough, but I actually think this reinforces the point.

There is feeding details off the record to Nick Barnes and there is talking up scenarios and overselling their likelihood but being careful to use language like "I believe, we expect I hope" etc.

But for the club's CEO to go on the record as a named source, stating that the club is in the period of exclusivity with an American buyer (with demonstrable proof of funds and not related to FPP) is a clearly verifiable fact - verifiable, as @The Ghost of Arca says, by other board members (not to mention countless other potential leakers bound into the NDA). It is a completely different kettle of fish.

Now, has this intervention perhaps been timed with yet another eye on season ticket sales - perhaps. But the point is it can't be total bollocks or a lie. There has to be substance in it otherwise Rodwell has committed a sackable offence, that can be called out by other board members.

It doesn't mean the club is about to be sold, because - my personal take only - Donald is still asking far too high a price for the club, particularly given the pandemic. We are a short-term nightmare, long-term dream and he can't let go of the dream because of the former. So we can enter in as many periods of exclusivity as we like, the price is wrong so I don't think "it's happening" as some would have you say. But people are interested, they can't make that up out of thin air.

Did he say they were American? Did he say they weren't related to FPP? Not in the quotes from the podcast I've seen, although I haven't listened to the podcast.

The quotes I've seen in the Echo are

"We are currently in a period of exclusivity, I think things have gone on longer than anyone would have liked, predominantly due to COVID and the uncertainty caused by COVID. The party that we're in exclusivity with have shown us proof of funds - and they're the only people to actually do so. Lots of people are all over the internet claiming they're close to buying the football club, but only one party has ever shown us proof of funds and given us a credible plan to take the football club forward - and that's the party that we're currently in exclusivity with. They've been uber-professional throughout the period but the simple fact remains - we are in a COVID world. We haven't got fans in the stadium, we haven't got a bailout at the moment and it's making matters very difficult. Until we get some kind of certainty from probably government, these matters are going to progress I guess.”

It's one thing to rule out the possibility of Jim Rodwell lying on the grounds of his integrity. Boston United fans may have a view on Jim Rodwell's integrity, given his history at their club. This involved being signed as a player by Steve Evans. After Steve Evans' £245,000 tax fraud, and his £8,000 attempts to 'mislead, impede, and frustrate' the enquiry, when Evans was banned from football, Rodwell bought shares in the club from a business associate of Steve Evans for £1, became chairman, with Evans' brother as a fellow director, and Evans' brother's mother in law as a shareholder. Lo and behold, Evans returned as manager soon enough. So I'll reserve judgment when it comes to professional integrity.

But even if everything Rodwell said can be taken at face value, there has been a long running exclusivity period, with no sign of any conclusion, due to a global pandemic (an excuse that has been used on multiple occasions this year when season card payments were due). There is no prospect of any resolution of this any time soon, from his comments. It's not unreasonable to assume that Covid will last 12 - 18 months from start to finish, before there is clarity on when fans can go back etc. At the risk of sounding like Mrs Merton, what do you think it was about the week before season card payment deadlines, that made the club leak these stories or announce them on a club podcast, on 5 separate occasions?

Did he say they were American? Did he say they weren't related to FPP? Not in the quotes from the podcast I've seen, although I haven't listened to the podcast.

The quotes I've seen in the Echo are

"We are currently in a period of exclusivity, I think things have gone on longer than anyone would have liked, predominantly due to COVID and the uncertainty caused by COVID. The party that we're in exclusivity with have shown us proof of funds - and they're the only people to actually do so. Lots of people are all over the internet claiming they're close to buying the football club, but only one party has ever shown us proof of funds and given us a credible plan to take the football club forward - and that's the party that we're currently in exclusivity with. They've been uber-professional throughout the period but the simple fact remains - we are in a COVID world. We haven't got fans in the stadium, we haven't got a bailout at the moment and it's making matters very difficult. Until we get some kind of certainty from probably government, these matters are going to progress I guess.”

It's one thing to rule out the possibility of Jim Rodwell lying on the grounds of his integrity. Boston United fans may have a view on Jim Rodwell's integrity, given his history at their club. This involved being signed as a player by Steve Evans. After Steve Evans' £245,000 tax fraud, and his £8,000 attempts to 'mislead, impede, and frustrate' the enquiry, when Evans was banned from football, Rodwell bought shares in the club from a business associate of Steve Evans for £1, became chairman, with Evans' brother as a fellow director, and Evans' brother's mother in law as a shareholder. Lo and behold, Evans returned as manager soon enough. So I'll reserve judgment when it comes to professional integrity.

But even if everything Rodwell said can be taken at face value, there has been a long running exclusivity period, with no sign of any conclusion, due to a global pandemic (an excuse that has been used on multiple occasions this year when season card payments were due). There is no prospect of any resolution of this any time soon, from his comments. It's not unreasonable to assume that Covid will last 12 - 18 months from start to finish, before there is clarity on when fans can go back etc. At the risk of sounding like Mrs Merton, what do you think it was about the week before season card payment deadlines, that made the club leak these stories or announce them on a club podcast, on 5 separate occasions?

I think you should re-read my post again first and work out where you think we disagree.

Then answer your own question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back