Bermuda4,673
Netherlands4,401
Azerbaijan3,945
Sweden3,654
Dominica3,542
France3,436
Belarus3,386
UK2,880

Nah, Germany and Korea are top, I read it on here.

Testing is not our sole strategy.

Herd immunity was always a crazy strategy, and meant UK was back of the class when it came to testing.

What I dont get is why with all the world warning the UK they persisted in that strategy, when this is all done and dusted there needs to be an enquiry into how the "leading science experts" in the country could have been so wrong in the face of such overwhelming evidence in the rest of the world:

Herd immunity is the goal surely?
It was a target, its not anymore.
It most definitely is the target. Just like for measles, mumps etc etc.

Last edited:
Nah, Germany and Korea are top, I read it on here.

Testing is not our sole strategy.

yeah they are only 4 and 3 times ours per % pop

I replied to your earlier post, by the way but the answers are the quote in case you missed them

Isn't Measles and Mumps by vaccine? I don't think have measles parties do they? Are you thinking of chicken pox?

Last edited:
Isn't Measles and Mumps by vaccine? I don't think have measles parties do they? Are you thinking of chicken pox?
Yes. The goal is still herd immunity. If the vaccine isn't available for the foreseeable future then we are going to have to get back on with life. The vulnerable will have to isolate or take their chances. If we get say 60% of population with immunity then the risks of transmission are much lower.
Pointless being locked down for years, especially if you are already old.

It was a target, its not anymore.
I think it is as we can't continue the lockdown with a vaccine. There's various news about vaccines but if they don't come then sadly they

We can't go on under lockdown for much longer, economy is going to be fucked. End the lockdown by letting everyone under 40 year old go back to work while adhering to social distancing where possible. The government have already sent letters to 1.4m people who they consider most at risk, all those people will need to remain under lockdown until June and not see family members etc.
This! Even if the lockdown is relaxed we won't be seeing all the footy leagues suddenly rushing back to play and all restaurants, pubs etc opening thinking everything will be back to normal and they can book a holiday.

There's already the PCR test to see if you've got it of course which will be ramped up and there's the antigen tests as well I think. It's the antibody test that will help move this along once it's rolled out to the masses but it's needs to be reliable but will they drop the requirement levels they require like some countries? They certainly can't just keep everyone in current lockdown to protect them as it will cause unrest and more people will take the piss. That will allow people to get on with normal life and this would be a big benefit to their mental health along with the economy.

We need people people to still get infected plus infection rate will have slowed down dramatically since lockdown. If the oldies/vulnerables are more vigilant and still self isolate or are well protected even if the venture out then those getting infected and requiring medical assistance will be smaller again. The young & healthy still have a very high chance of just brushing it off or getting the best treatment as it's well within the limits of the NHS. Some may die sadly but it won't be at the levels we're currently seeing now due to the demographics of those who've been dying (not just UK, worldwide). The NHS is being overwhelmed in areas (I know about the 10 year political shite but can all that be fixed this instant?) but still coping well to some degree. That's also because many other NHS related stuff has been pushed aside or delayed, such as my Mam's cancer treatment. They can't keep doing that but when they resume normal NHS services they will still have some capacity to deal with the extra work load of the infected.

There is an app in development that tracks people using their phone. It will allows people to be told if they'd been in the vicinity of someone in the past who's now tested positive. That means they can go get tested as soon as possible to ensure the don't spread it any more. There may even be mask requirements in crowded places once the demand for medical services has subsided and the public can use them. Same goes for temperature checking like other countries as it may help catch people and there's other measures that can be used to help allow people back out of the lockdown and potentially increase the time for another one and cut down the frequency of them. This may mean doing things you may not necessarily do but if I haven't already had it, I'd quite happily walk about in a mask and gloves while being tracked, getting my temperature checked though not anally, if it meant I could move about with far more freedom :cool:

It's just a waiting game at the moment but hopefully there's light at the end of this f***ing horrible tunnel! ;)

Herd immunity is not a target it is a consequence of how the government, advised by the scientific experts, see the pandemic running out in this country.

No additional deaths will occur unless the NHS is overwhelmed.

Countries that are containing the virus or have depressed the curve by massive testing and quarantining will have to face a second wave when they lift the restrictions.
True but there will be a second wave here too, hopefully we’ll be better equipped to deal with it by then.

what are the other countries tests proving just binary snapshot - you have it or don't?

That you have it ‘right now’. And we do test for that, at hospital.

Other countries do not have tests to tell you if you have had it.

So go through my questions again, and answer them all with that knowledge.

Last edited:
Thanks for that 👍 I type fast and find it hard sometimes be far more concise so posts just grow and grow! :confused: I know some will take the piss out of the long post but I don't take any offence at this. Given the situation we're in I tend to find posting shite helps me through it all. I can only do so much in the house but then my mind still comes back to this shit! I've 4 vulnerables I'm shopping for and forever in fear of still passing on infection to them this shit is on my mind 24/7. That's why I'm forever scouring websites, data etc and sharing some here plus hoping we see some good signs sooner rather than later.

People can ignore it or skip it but I do know some do read certain posts no matter how long and can take whatever they want from it. If I'm helping someone else through this or giving them some info now and then then I'm happy to take the flack from others who may think it strange or sad. I've seen the 2 stickies at the top of this forum but stuff like that isn't for me but it shows I'm not the only one who is affected in some way. I'll not be doing this shit once it's all over and my days of scrutinising footy to the miniscule won't be as bad as they once were either people will be pleased to know :lol::lol:

You see, a long post just like that! Plus I'm on a large screen so it doesn't look as big but I bet a phone is a f***ing nightmare for some 😂
It's certainly not shite mate.
And if it helps you, all well and good.
I come on this board a lot to get info, but too much on here makes me so depressed, lots of posters (perhaps quite rightly) scared and desperate to slate the gvt and its handling of things (which is the opposite of people I spk to in real life) so I have to try and skate over quite a lot of political posts.

Weather people like it or not some degree of herd immunity will have to be achieved. The virus is going nowhere we cannot hide for 18 months till a vaccine. We are only in lockdown to try give the nhs a chance, not to stop the virus all together.

And what would testing the general population do at this point? I get nhs staff needing to know if positive or negative but thats about it.

The test to see if people have had it is more important than the straight positive/negative test.

Last edited:
Weather people like it or not some degree of herd immunity will have to be achieved. The virus is going nowhere we cannot hide for 18 months till a vaccine. We are only in lockdown to try give the nhs a chance, not to stop the virus all together.

And what would testing the general population do at this point? I get nhs staff needing to know if positive or negative but thats about it.

The test to see if people have had it is more important than the straight positive/negative test.

What would testing achieve? Something clouding your judgement there mate?

Well technically yes, but the usual herd immunity by vaccination, not the crazy version the UK scientists had planned, when even Trump can see the issue you know you are in trouble.

"If you remember, they were looking at that concept - I guess it's a concept if you don't mind death, a lot of death - but they were looking at that in the UK, remember,"

Last edited:
Well technically yes, but the usual herd immunity by vaccination, not the crazy version the UK scientists had planned, when even Trump can see the issue you know you are in trouble.

"If you remember, they were looking at that concept - I guess it's a concept if you don't mind death, a lot of death - but they were looking at that in the UK, remember,"
I dont see any alternative. It will be controlled but there will definitely be death.

I think it is as we can't continue the lockdown with a vaccine. There's various news about vaccines but if they don't come then sadly they

This! Even if the lockdown is relaxed we won't be seeing all the footy leagues suddenly rushing back to play and all restaurants, pubs etc opening thinking everything will be back to normal and they can book a holiday.

There's already the PCR test to see if you've got it of course which will be ramped up and there's the antigen tests as well I think. It's the antibody test that will help move this along once it's rolled out to the masses but it's needs to be reliable but will they drop the requirement levels they require like some countries? They certainly can't just keep everyone in current lockdown to protect them as it will cause unrest and more people will take the piss. That will allow people to get on with normal life and this would be a big benefit to their mental health along with the economy.

We need people people to still get infected plus infection rate will have slowed down dramatically since lockdown. If the oldies/vulnerables are more vigilant and still self isolate or are well protected even if the venture out then those getting infected and requiring medical assistance will be smaller again. The young & healthy still have a very high chance of just brushing it off or getting the best treatment as it's well within the limits of the NHS. Some may die sadly but it won't be at the levels we're currently seeing now due to the demographics of those who've been dying (not just UK, worldwide). The NHS is being overwhelmed in areas (I know about the 10 year political shite but can all that be fixed this instant?) but still coping well to some degree. That's also because many other NHS related stuff has been pushed aside or delayed, such as my Mam's cancer treatment. They can't keep doing that but when they resume normal NHS services they will still have some capacity to deal with the extra work load of the infected.

There is an app in development that tracks people using their phone. It will allows people to be told if they'd been in the vicinity of someone in the past who's now tested positive. That means they can go get tested as soon as possible to ensure the don't spread it any more. There may even be mask requirements in crowded places once the demand for medical services has subsided and the public can use them. Same goes for temperature checking like other countries as it may help catch people and there's other measures that can be used to help allow people back out of the lockdown and potentially increase the time for another one and cut down the frequency of them. This may mean doing things you may not necessarily do but if I haven't already had it, I'd quite happily walk about in a mask and gloves while being tracked, getting my temperature checked though not anally, if it meant I could move about with far more freedom :cool:

It's just a waiting game at the moment but hopefully there's light at the end of this f***ing horrible tunnel! ;)

The main issue is still not so much the oldies but those who care for people or who have someone in their household who is at high risk. How can you expect someone to go back to work in the knowledge they could get it and pass it on to a loved one?

Some quiet difficult decisions for people when the lockdown is lifted.

It wouldn't surprise me if the govt follow the strategy set out by both ICL and LSHTM to have on/off lockdowns, instigated when we reach a certain % of ICU capacity, and lifted when we fall below a certain % of ICU capacity.
I certainly think there will be future lockdowns given the various methods that are being talked about to catch infection before it spreads. Hopefully if they then do have to increase measures it won't be the lockdown of the kind we have now and still allows some freedom. We had to do this lockdown as even the extra trickle of infections that is happening now would be enough to overwhelm the NHS. It's that bottle of water analogy some bloke made in a video.

The idea now is to buy time for testing, development of anti-viral treatments, and ultimately vaccine, IMO obviously.

Edit - and limit the death.
People may well die but who can say what an 'acceptable' number is against the cost of the whole nation? There's no vaccine (though some good stories about development might be quicker) so people can't hide forever. There needs to be balance for the sake of the populations well being and the national economy during and after all this. Some may be able to restrict exposure when measures are relaxed but some may not have a choice of hiding away even if the government pay 80% of wages or give grants/tax relief for example.

Back