Has the confed cup suddenly just become big?

Status
Not open for further replies.

safcrob

Winger
I thought it was just a mediocre tournament in which countries just over looked but watching some of the matches it looks like every country wants to win this, certainly Germany who look like they want to win this more than the world cup itself.

I thought it was just a mediocre tournament in which countries just over looked but watching some of the matches it looks like every country wants to win this, certainly Germany who look like they want to win this more than the world cup itself.

wasn't it a south american or americas only thing until they invited spain a few years agan?

Talk of this being the last one? Always thought it was a pointless competition
Sure I read that the next one in Qatar won't happen because it would need to be in the summer which wouldn't be practical. It might go to another country instead.

The whole point of it is to give the WC host nation a test event a year early and also some competitive football as the WC hosts would only play friendlies for 2 years otherwise.

Personally I like it and hope they keep it going.

Sure I read that the next one in Qatar won't happen because it would need to be in the summer which wouldn't be practical. It might go to another country instead.

The whole point of it is to give the WC host nation a test event a year early and also some competitive football as the WC hosts would only play friendlies for 2 years otherwise.

Personally I like it and hope they keep it going.

Not necessarily, the first one was held in Saudi Arabia in the lead up to France 98 and the 2nd was in Mexico.

Until 2005 it was also held every 2 years, instead of the usual every 4 years like it is now.

Not necessarily, the first one was held in Saudi Arabia in the lead up to France 98 and the 2nd was in Mexico.

Until 2005 it was also held every 2 years, instead of the usual every 4 years like it is now.
Originally yeah that's right. I meant in its current guise/format.

It's only the last couple where FIFA have pushed it as a serious tournament. Enjoyed the 2013 one. Was impressed by this little Italian attacking midfielder. Wonder whatever happened to him...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back