Has anyone on here got a book curator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty Pigeon

Striker
All the rage, apparently.

Just what we need in the 21st century, or a sign of the end times?

Thatcher Wine, a long-time bibliophile and collector, tapped into this concept in 2001, sourcing rare, out-of-print books to build beautiful libraries based on interest, author, and even color for his clients. Since then, Wine has curated the bookshelves of Gwyneth Paltrow and New York’s NoMad hotel; fans include Laura Dern and Shonda Rhimes.

The bloke even offers customised covers.

My invention for the book jacket means that someone can have the complete works of Jane Austen, but in a certain Pantone chip color that matches the rest of the room.

All the rage, apparently.

Just what we need in the 21st century, or a sign of the end times?

Thatcher Wine, a long-time bibliophile and collector, tapped into this concept in 2001, sourcing rare, out-of-print books to build beautiful libraries based on interest, author, and even color for his clients. Since then, Wine has curated the bookshelves of Gwyneth Paltrow and New York’s NoMad hotel; fans include Laura Dern and Shonda Rhimes.

The bloke even offers customised covers.

My invention for the book jacket means that someone can have the complete works of Jane Austen, but in a certain Pantone chip color that matches the rest of the room.

What a load of pretentious shite.

"My philosophy is that the books we keep on our shelves reflect who we are. "

Not sure what battered old paperbacks, mismatched and hoyed on shelves in any old random order says about me mind :lol:

Ah but the books aren’t there to be read, just to look pretty on the shelves and to give the impression of intelligence to whoever their visitors are.

You can do both. This is the author Nicholas Royle's library. No curator for him, just years of scouring the shelves of secondhand bookshops and charity shops.

Logon or register to see this image

You can do both. This is the author Nicholas Royle's library. No curator for him, just years of scouring the shelves of secondhand bookshops and charity shops.

Logon or register to see this image

I was talking about the people like Gwyneth Paltrow using a “book curator”. I doubt she’s ever read Jane Eyre in her f***ing life.

I’d love bookshelves like that. We’re running out of space for all my books here!

Havent got a personal book curator but I used to have a girlfriend whose sister had a degree in library science.

I was talking about the people like Gwyneth Paltrow using a “book curator”. I doubt she’s ever read Jane Eyre in her f***ing life.

I’d love bookshelves like that. We’re running out of space for all my books here!

That's also my ideal. But I'd never dream of getting someone to do it for me. Half the pleasure is in tracking the books down and assembling the collection.

Ah but the books aren’t there to be read, just to look pretty on the shelves and to give the impression of intelligence to whoever their visitors are.
I think that's always been the case with personal libraries marra. Or it's posh hoarding.

I'm a big reader but let's say I am minted and do nowt but read books I would probably be dead before I could read everything in a large private collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back