Has anyone ever "sold" half their party wall to their neighbour?

Exactly,another 6 months of lock down savings to spend spend spend on their homes.

There'll be many planning on taking to the skies once it's given the go ahead I'd imagine (probably less spending on their homes), the benefits of a blistering vaccination programme.

The house next door to me has come up for sale which was owned by an old woman and the asking price is fairly low. I thought about buying it with a view to doing it up and selling, as it could be extended easily by building on to the gable end of my extension (which is a party wall), but when I viewed it I decided too much needed doing to the existing house before an extension could be considered.
So now whoever buys it could build themselves a cheap two storey extension by utilising my wall (it is the party wall, but wholly on my land) and after looking into the party wall act it appears that I would be within my rights to ask for half of the (current) build cost of the wall in this scenario.

Has anyone ever done this?

Party wall not being on the boundary must surely be pretty rare. I'd think you were fully justified to have some compensation from them for the hassle and loss of access/amenity. Whether half the wall build cost is what you'd go for is another matter. Issues around drainage and the roof need to be considered too.

Closest I've had was buying an upper flat which had a half share of 'it's' garden, a relic from 70's ownership of ye upstairs and downstairs flats. When the owner of both sold the upper he changed the deeds to a half share of the upper flat's bit of garden (downstairs has it's own) sneaky thing to have a say over any changes I think. When we bought and wanted to sort out the neglected overgrown garden the downstairs owners wanted it to stay as is 'for security'. We measured it out and discovered the boundary was two feet out, with an old garden shed built up to part of it that I doubt could be moved. We informed them and they decided we could do what we liked with our garden! Ironically we have since bought the downstairs and when it comes to selling we will make it one flat one garden, like it obviously should be.

It's wholly on my land, not astride the boundary.

Even if it was astride the boundary, the same principle applies.
They would only save one skin of brickwork though really so not thousands.
Bricks 24 quid a m2 plus labour.
Plus it's more labour intensive to tie into your existing

Back