Harmisons Sunday sun article

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Harry Lime

Great article from Harmison in this mornings Sunday Sun. He sums the early season batting woes up nicely.

Most on here would disagree with it though. Basically saying the current top 3 are the best we have against the new ball, we have to stick by them as its difficult batting against the new ball in early season conditions on the pitches we have played on so far. Colly not the answer further up the order as his days as a number 3 or 4 are behind him.

I read it after seeing this thread. Excellent article from an (apparent) employee of Durham CCC.

Tim Wellock don't give up the day job.

Most on here would disagree with it though. Basically saying the current top 3 are the best we have against the new ball, we have to stick by them as its difficult batting against the new ball in early season conditions on the pitches we have played on so far. Colly not the answer further up the order as his days as a number 3 or 4 are behind him.
That wont wash with many people though. The top order struggled last year as well. With MDV gone it looks threadbare.

I do agree to an extend that it is so difficult against the new ball, especially in early season. As an opener myself it does get on my tits a bit when you graft for 30 odd against a good new ball attack coming off black and blue, then all the locals get stuck into you because some slogger down the order has flayed 50 in a crack against the third change seamer and the stiff and tired returning openers.

My beef however with the durham lads is that there seems to be no guts about them. Yes it's hard but you have to find a way to hang around long enough to make a few. Too many players are still getting out to bad shots and poor technique that would get them out whatever the surface. Nobody is expecting them to average 40 in April but the odd 30 or 40 and a few 50 partnerships would make a huge difference to the games.

Just how much harder is it in early season? Just because usually at this time of year we're faced with loads of damp pitches and overcast, grey skies. However this year, for all it hasn't been warm it has been very dry.

I always love a good old pitch/conditions debate :neutral:. So just how much harder is it to bat now, than say mid-July??

Some of our top order batsmen are woefully inconsistent at the best of times, it's hardly a surprise to see them struggle when there's something in it for the bowlers.

Our top 3/4 is the worst in the league IMO.

In my experience, although granted its nowhere near first class, it is so tough early on. Firstly just getting onto grass is a massive culture shock and can take a good few weeks to get used to. Also the dampness in the pitch really does make the ball do funny things when new. Compare it to batting on an absolute road of a surface come mid July and the difference is huge. Still I stand by my opinion that they should still be showing more. Top order batsmen should be gutsing it out more, digging in and finding ways to hang around and make a few

Harmison reports that he played for Ashington yesterday taking 2-26 off 14 overs against Cowgate-has he found his right level? Hopes to play for the 2nds v Notts 2nds this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back