Haggling Insurance Prices

Had a house fire almost six weeks ago now, tumble dryer went up, and am currently going through Claims process , we're with Nationwide with the policy written by RSA ,

so far so good , have forked out 9k in accommodation costs and am living in holiday cottages round Ambleside.

Currently in Outgate by Hawkshead then moving up to Chapel stile 2nd week march till Easter.we now need to book some more somewhere.

Have rejected their offer to repair and have quotes from local tradesmen, their loss Adjustor will open this on wed morn when he returns from a break and probably self combust.

However I'm sure this is the first stage in the negotiation process. If interested I will keep you updated
Sorry to hear that and hope you get sorted. A tumble dryer fire burned down one of my favourite pubs last week.

Have companies just stopped doing this now?

I phoned up Nationwide home insurance earlier (Think it’s actually run by Royal Sun Alliance). And pressed the ‘To talk about your renewal’ option - Which is even worded like it’s where you go to ask about the price.

Asked the lass a few questions about no claims, excesses, limits etc… just to check it was comparable with the comparisons I’d done online and when it was asked the question of can you do anything re price. She said something like Natiowide usually do best and final offers.

Was thinking that if I actually said I want to cancel you would still then be put through to a retention team but before I even asked she said do you want me to cancel for you now backdated to the end of the policy next week.

I always thought insurance was a very competitive market and that they fell over themselves to try and get the price down if you wanted to leave but she didn’t seem enabled to do anything with it or even direct to another team who could.
Esure home insurance weren’t interested in trying to provide me with an improved house insurance renewal quote.

For the past 5+ years I’ve phoned, selected the option to cancel, asked them if they could beat their own renewal price, ended up renewing.

When a £40k car can be taken and driven away in under 20 seconds it’s not surprising insurance costs are rocketing.

I'm not convinced that is the reason for my house insurance being 40% higher this year than last year (and doing a compare still look competitive). I don't live in a mobile home.

Had a house fire almost six weeks ago now, tumble dryer went up, and am currently going through Claims process , we're with Nationwide with the policy written by RSA ,

so far so good , have forked out 9k in accommodation costs and am living in holiday cottages round Ambleside.

Currently in Outgate by Hawkshead then moving up to Chapel stile 2nd week march till Easter.we now need to book some more somewhere.

Have rejected their offer to repair and have quotes from local tradesmen, their loss Adjustor will open this on wed morn when he returns from a break and probably self combust.

However I'm sure this is the first stage in the negotiation process. If interested I will keep you updated
Neighbours dishwasher went up (I know, I've no idea) while they were out, kitchen very badly smoke damaged. Every bit of soft furnishing replaced, including curtains etc upstairs, final total was over €50,000 😲

Neighbours dishwasher went up (I know, I've no idea) while they were out, kitchen very badly smoke damaged. Every bit of soft furnishing replaced, including curtains etc upstairs, final total was over €50,000 😲
Ours is gonna be prob around 55 to 60k ish when finished..about 15k of that on accommodation..moving on friday to white Cross Bay holiday park on Windermere in a lodge for two weeks

Love the smb for stuff like this, always seems to be relevant to what I’m doing.
house insurance up 25% with direct line. They knocked £50 by ringing them up still feel like I’m being bumfukked it’s stick or twist time.
LV a lot cheaper but the extras on LV are on standard on direct line
Hate owt like this me.
Mental how much insurances have gone up man house and motor are mental.

Love the smb for stuff like this, always seems to be relevant to what I’m doing.
house insurance up 25% with direct line. They knocked £50 by ringing them up still feel like I’m being bumfukked it’s stick or twist time.
LV a lot cheaper but the extras on LV are on standard on direct line
Hate owt like this me.
Mental how much insurances have gone up man house and motor are mental.
Frustratingly it’s the exact same for everything. Goods and service providers have just taken advantage of Covid whilst still making bumper profits.

Regulators not regulating etc.
multi insurance went up 480 over 2 cars and the house rang up got 300 off without doing much just asking can they do it cheaper
Annoyingly still £180 more expensive than last year though.

Car insurance went up from £417 to £493 despite nothing changing and an extra year no claims. Did a comparison and one site offered £416 for more or less the same policy as I have. Rang my original insurer to cancel the auto-renewal and policy and an hour and twenty minutes later they beat the new quote by one pence. I’ll not be bothering haggling next year just going with the cheapest quote on the comparison sites.

Frustratingly it’s the exact same for everything. Goods and service providers have just taken advantage of Covid whilst still making bumper profits.

Regulators not regulating etc.

I think it was the boss of Tesco a while ago saying more or less the same, suppliers increasing prices when they didn't need to, takeing advantage of the current situation (recovery from covid/inflation).
They would let people starve to make a profit.

£200 last year up to £300 this time. comparison sites coming up with tesco at £199. i'm with hastings (been with them a long time) 'phoned them up and got it down to £230. was going to go with tesco but they only include driving someone elses car if it's an emergency so just going with hastings again. up by £30 but £70 better than what the robbing bastards wanted.

Renewal just in for car up from £260 last year to £470 with no claims made and an extra year protected no claims

f***ing awful

Back