Would You Have Poyet Back?

The 2014 EFL Cup campaign was the best time of my life as a supporter.

All the times I would park up behind the metro station bridge in Edgeworth Crescent and walk to the stadium and get myself some scran and see us beat someone like Plymouth or Southampton. Then we beat Chelsea in the quarter final then Man United in the first leg of the semi final.

I remember waiting in the queue for about 8 hours to get a ticket for the final when they went on sale.

The day itself was epic. The taxi driver was a speeding nutcase. He dropped me off opposite the stadium metro station and I walked the rest of the way. This was at about 6 pm. I got really excited when my coach pulled up and especially when the doors closed and it drove away. Seeing Wembley for the first time made me even more excited. I was about three rows from the top of the South stand but I didn’t care.

It was a brilliant day. We would not have gotten there had we not sacked PDC earlier and appointed Gus. We would likely have been knocked out.

But if we reappointed Gus it would ruin the memories I have of that day. He would not be the same.
Well said. Poyet shouldn't be our next manager but he doesn't deserve the vitriol some are giving him on this thread.

Season one episode the football was the best we’ve ever played at times. That Man Utd game we blew them away with amazing football. The season after was weirdly different. Don’t want him back we need to move forward but those saying his football was shite must have been pissed.

I'd take him back if the alternative is likes of Beale as in someone right down the list who has been in management 5 minutes.

People will say what about Bradford or Southampton and completely overlook both league and cup wins against Chelsea, man utd. Getting the team to it's first cup final in 20 odd years and the constant smashing of the mags. All with a team full of poor/mediocre players.

I wouldn’t be against Poyet and I’d probably prefer him to someone like Still.

People cite one off games like the Hull cup game or Bradford cup tie but conveniently ignore many other excellent performances.

He got us to a major cup final, played some excellent stuff and had a brilliant record against the Mags.

Seems ironic that some who trot out the ‘never go back’ line go into a frenzy at the prospect of Keane coming here when Poyet has a far better managerial CV.

Back