Greatest Showman film

• Thread starter Deleted member 22590
  • Start date

What a convoluted excuse not to take the Mrs to see a film you don't fancy. :lol:

I went to the circus in the 1970s and all the animals were dancing and clapping and could do sums and stuff. They seemed to enjoy it.
I went in the 80s when I was 3 or 4. All I remember is that an elephant did a massive shit and a clown had to use a massive shovel to clear it. It was brilliant.

What a convoluted excuse not to take the Mrs to see a film you don't fancy. :lol:

I went in the 80s when I was 3 or 4. All I remember is that an elephant did a massive shit and a clown had to use a massive shovel to clear it. It was brilliant.
:lol::lol::lol:
Kids robbed of those magical moments because do gooders don't want magnificent creatures kept in cruel conditions. World has gone mad.

It’s quite schmalzy and glosses over how much of a weird bloke Phineas Barnum was. Could have been a really interesting film.

I went with the wife (no) - it was enjoyable enough - easy going entertainment.

Sad as it is, I like to look at the back story of these sort of characters - a lot of material if someone wanted to do a biopic of the 'real' man. Like you say - weird and complex - exploitative in some senses, but philanthropic as well - helped found a university and hospital, spoke in favour of emancipation.

You don't get any grim and depressing musicals mind. The fact that I find all of them to be that way is purely personal taste.

Other half wants to go and see it this weekend. I don't want to sit through a film if it has any animal cruelty depicted in it and if it's even remotely based on fact, can't see how the film will avoid it. Anyone whose seen it?
6 times. I love it :oops:

No animals are hurt.

There was a thing on 5Live about it two or three weeks ago. Seldom has a film divided critics and audiences so much.
Went last night and it was pretty much sold out.

I went with the wife (no) - it was enjoyable enough - easy going entertainment.

Sad as it is, I like to look at the back story of these sort of characters - a lot of material if someone wanted to do a biopic of the 'real' man. Like you say - weird and complex - exploitative in some senses, but philanthropic as well - helped found a university and hospital, spoke in favour of emancipation.

And they touched on that conflicted aspect of his personality, but in no depth whatsoever. Quite disappointing. Suppose it’s a musical.

That seems to be par for the course. Sell out audiences, people seeing it multiple times, cinemas showing singalong versions but the critics pretty much universally disliked it.
What do critics know.

It's been out since just before Christmas. Mental that it's still going strong. About 3 weeks ago we went and the viewing had moved as so many people had booked l. I've never known that happen before.

Last night I was amazed at how many people were there. It's a nice feel good movie and like i said I love it. We will keep going every week until its gone forever.

Well, until the download comes out.

You don't get any grim and depressing musicals mind. The fact that I find all of them to be that way is purely personal taste.

Wow, really?
Jesus Christ Superstar? Blood Brothers? Sweeny Todd? Les Mis? Miss Saigon?

Also, Grim and Depressing?
The Producers? Shrek? Spamalot? The Book of Mormon?

6 times. I love it :oops:

My daughter is 10. I bought her a cup of pick and mix before the film. She was that engrossed in the film, she barely ate any sweets and fetched it home! She's already asked if she can have the DVD for her birthday if it's out by May.

My daughter is 10. I bought her a cup of pick and mix before the film. She was that engrossed in the film, she barely ate any sweets and fetched it home! She's already asked if she can have the DVD for her birthday if it's out by May.
It's hard to explain. But I can't get enough of it and we just keep going back. As I've said, i couldn't believe the number of people there last night.

Greatest film ever. (Of course helps if you like this kind of thing to start with).

Back