Great players who never leave smaller clubs

He was hindered by the Shilton..Clemence thing for England..i always thought he was worth a punt by a big club when we were in the 2nd Division.

That was after his time. He was stymied by Banks and Bonetti. No arguments about Banks, but he was far better than Bonetti; he just didn't play for a London club.
Well done correct, all before my time like the list is:

Tommy Lawton Notts Co 5 caps 47-48
Reg Matthews Coventry 5 caps 56-57
Johnny Byrne Palace 1962 (once)
Peter Taylor Palace 1976 4 caps in fact - and presumably played when they put us out of the Cup quarters that year.
And Bully - 2 of his 13 were from the third level in 1989.

Lawton was far from a one club player Tommy Lawton - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Steven Dobbie at Queen of the South. Could easily have played at a much higher level and had plenty of offers but was never interested. Don't blame him. Dumfries is a canny place to live.

That was after his time. He was stymied by Banks and Bonetti. No arguments about Banks, but he was far better than Bonetti; he just didn't play for a London club.

Lawton was far from a one club player Tommy Lawton - Wikipedia
Monty wouldn’t have competition for Banks or Bonetti..the club was going nowhere late 60’s and relegated in 1970..i just felt 1974-5 time..when he was only 30..he was the best behind Shilton and Clemence.

Monty wouldn’t have competition for Banks or Bonetti..the club was going nowhere late 60’s and relegated in 1970..i just felt 1974-5 time..when he was only 30..he was the best behind Shilton and Clemence.

He was on the training squad for the 1970 World Cup, but didn't make the final 22.

Back