Great North Run 2019 - first timer

Can anyone offer some advice, as there is an overwhelming amount of information on google searches that i don't even know where to start, what to take seriously, what to concentrate on, what takes priority etc..

running first GNR this year, and really want to get a good time - 1 hour 50 mins - i'd be absolutely over the moon with. been training for 2 months, doing 4 miles then onto 6 miles, and going to start doing 8 miles in July. however i'm told i need to supplement these runs with either HIIT sessions, or shorter faster runs - which i've done a few times - or maybe with some 'other' strength training.

i need a bit of a plan for the next 2 months to maximise what i'm getting out of what i put in, so to speak. drinking about 4L of water a day, eating pretty well (drinking alcohol once a week on a saturday). - can anyone offer me some direction?

cheers
My blog from my first in 2017. Factor in that I'm a miserable bugger before reading.:lol:
Legged It (My tale of the Great North Run)
Prepare to be frustrated at every point but being further forward you have a chance of avoiding the majority, if not all, of the walkers.
Transport is a nightmare and the new Metro exchange at Shields could cause more issues as it's the first time it's been used.
Go in with low expectations and you might just enjoy it.;)

As to the main point of your question, get plenty of hill training in, especially towards the end of your runs because mile ten onwards to the top of the hill is a killer.

My blog from my first in 2017. Factor in that I'm a miserable bugger before reading.:lol:
Legged It (My tale of the Great North Run)
Prepare to be frustrated at every point but being further forward you have a chance of avoiding the majority, if not all, of the walkers.
Transport is a nightmare and the new Metro exchange at Shields could cause more issues as it's the first time it's been used.
Go in with low expectations and you might just enjoy it.;)

As to the main point of your question, get plenty of hill training in, especially towards the end of your runs because mile ten onwards to the top of the hill is a killer.
I remember reading that at the time. Right miserable bugger you like. :lol:

Always tickles me when people decide to run the biggest half marathon in the world and then complain there’s too many people. :) Not a dig by the way.

To the OP, you sound like your training etc is going well. Your biggest challenge will be not hitting Gateshead Stadium too quickly, as by then you’ll have three miles in, quicker thank you’ve ever ran before with about seven mile of mainly uphill dual carriageway to deal with.

The hardest bits for me are always between three and five miles and about eight and ten miles.

Oh, and gan canny down the bank to the seafront.

Enjoy.

Back