Great Indian Railway Journeys with Michael Portillo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colombo - Galle - Colombo - Kandy - Colombo is the plan. If I sack the cricket off for a day might do Ella.

Ella is stunning. But very tranquil. Not sure how youd fit it in that schedule mind, as it's a decent trek from everywhere you've listed there.

Colombo gets a bad press but I loved it for a couple of nights.

Galle can be done in a day. Cracking venue for cricket.

I booked it on the back of your recommendation on here. Definitely one of your better posts ;)

I'm good me when I'm not acting an arse :cool::lol:

The commuter trains around Colombo looked like another story mind. Classic folks hanging out the doors type stuff

Galle is good, climb up the fort walls and you're looking right out across the cricket pitch. I loved Kandy. We saw whatever they call the parade with the elephants going along the road by the side of the lake. i wasn't sure whether I'd like it out there, but I'd go back at the drop of a hat. Only place I didn't really like was Negombo, syringes and all kinds of shit on the beach and plagued by hawkers trying to flog you stuff. A bit too touristy for my tastes.

Negombo is poor like. The main street is alright for a couple of beers or bite to eat but that's about it. The crowd are annoying as well.

If he is going to Kandy I'd definitely suggest a stop off en route at the Elephant Foundation in Kegalle for an hour or two (near the famous tourist trap Pinnawela, but much better).

*crows not crowds ffs

Last edited:
Ella is stunning. But very tranquil. Not sure how youd fit it in that schedule mind, as it's a decent trek from everywhere you've listed there.

I'm in Unawatuna for the Galle test and then have 4 days to get to Kandy before the next one starts. Will probably fit it in then. Taking my cricket bat and ball to have a knock about with the Barmy Army at Galle fort. Is there plenty of overnight accommodation in Ella? Just seen it's an 10 hour journey according to the timetables from Colombo and 6 hours from Kandy.

I'm good me when I'm not acting an arse :cool::lol:

Negombo is poor like. The main street is alright for a couple of beers or bite to eat but that's about it. The crowd are annoying as well.

If he is going to Kandy I'd definitely suggest a stop off en route at the Elephant Foundation in Kegalle for an hour or two (near the famous tourist trap Pinnawela, but much better).

*crows not crowds ffs
We went to the elephant transit place at Udawalawe before going round the National Park.

I'm in Unawatuna for the Galle test and then have 4 days to get to Kandy before the next one starts. Will probably fit it in then. Taking my cricket bat and ball to have a knock about with the Barmy Army at Galle fort. Is there plenty of overnight accommodation in Ella? Just seen it's an 10 hour journey according to the timetables from Colombo and 6 hours from Kandy.

Yep, although it's quite a small place so definitely recommend booking in advance. Waterfalls Homestay is tremendous, and one of the waiters is cricket mad. Get in there if you can.

You can hire a car with a driver at Galle and get them to drive you to Ella then get the train from there to Kandy. Loads of places to stay around Ella. We did a home stay with an Aussie family right up in the hills, had to take a tuk tuk to get up there. Go to the Nine Arches bridge while you're there. We were on the bridge as a train came past. Really great

Yep, although it's quite a small place so definitely recommend booking in advance. Waterfalls Homestay is tremendous, and one of the waiters is cricket mad. Get in there if you can.
No shit man - we stayed at Waterfalls Homestay!

You can hire a car with a driver at Galle and get them to drive you to Ella then get the train from there to Kandy.

No shit man - we stayed at Waterfalls Homestay!

Sound advice. We did that, but in reverse.

Nice one. Tremendous place. Loved getting woke up by the wildlife and then strolling down for breakie with a breathtaking view across to the water fall.

It’s one thing making chapatis with some old woman in the floor and talking to nice middle class Indians on a nice clean train, Michael.

I’d prefer to watch Portillo's train journeys into a Mumbai Slum, personally.

Too cleansed.

It’s one thing making chapatis with some old woman in the floor and talking to nice middle class Indians on a nice clean train, Michael.

I’d prefer to watch Portillo's train journeys into a Mumbai Slum, personally.

Too cleansed.

To be fair to Mikey P, when a mate of mine fell in the River Cam whilst punting, he was first there to pull him out (and possibly off if the signals were right).

Portillo comes across as very likeable in these series mind.
I said the same thing a few months ago to some one who had recently met him at a charity event . They laughed and told me that he came across as a real arrogant self-obsessed shit.:lol:

(Did you see the look on his face when he lost Enfield in 1997? I still laugh).

I said the same thing a few months ago to some one who had recently met him at a charity event . They laughed and told me that he came across as a real arrogant self-obsessed shit.:lol:

The thing that scares me is that he was regarded as the Tory right back then. He'd be Tory centre/centre-left now conpared to the Goveborimogg monster.

Portillo comes across as very likeable in these series mind.
Funnily enough we were talking tonight about how his good mate Dianne Abbott would have done with this programme.

Did not see this post, so a score draw it is.

Just starting on BBC2 now.

Could be worth a watch for those who like the ex Tory tosspot choo choo lad.
The opening statement repeated at the start of every episode pisses me off.
QUOTE " Britain's Victorians took to the railways to see to explore our isle blah blah blah"
Shoud be "Britains Wealthy priveliged upper class took to the railways whilst the populace slaved in the mines , mills and all the other sweat shops for slave wages.

The opening statement repeated at the start of every episode pisses me off.
QUOTE " Britain's Victorians took to the railways to see to explore our isle blah blah blah"
Shoud be "Britains Wealthy priveliged upper class took to the railways whilst the populace slaved in the mines , mills and all the other sweat shops for slave wages.
Welcome to a packed Wembley of reasonably a affluent people indulging while the less fortunate people of London look through bins ,let's meet the teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back