Grandparents and kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

spoony

Striker
What's the general take on this this then? Are grandkids starting to have more interactions with grandparents now things seem under control. We're starting to think it may be ok to do so but are waiting for the official nod first. What are other people doing? Either way we'll leave it up to the grandparents to decide I think as they are mostv

Grandad is shielding so, despite living alone, he wasn't allowed to join our household in a support bubble until this week (on 6/7). We've seen him every day since. We have been visiting my other grandparents in their garden since we've been allowed, and inside our houses this week. My younger sister is 12 and she gave them all a hug as soon as she saw them. It was breaking the rules but I didn't have the heart to tell her off.

Seems to be a lot of reliance on the grandparents these days for whatever reason.
As an aside, I only used to see my gran & granda twice a year when I was a bairn.
My mam's dad, died before I was born, and my other nanna, again I used to see her about twice a year too.

Seems to be a lot of reliance on the grandparents these days for whatever reason.
As an aside, I only used to see my gran & granda twice a year when I was a bairn.
My mam's dad, died before I was born, and my other nanna, again I used to see her about twice a year too.

The cost of paid childcare mainly I would say. 35 quid for a half day of nursery for my 3 year old this morning. Wrap around care before and after school for my 8 year old soon adds up. Tbh the grandparents probably save us thousands a year. Sad like in many ways.

The cost of paid childcare mainly I would say. 35 quid for a half day of nursery for my 3 year old this morning. Wrap around care before and after school for my 8 year old soon adds up. Tbh the grandparents probably save us thousands a year. Sad like in many ways.
I take it that both you and your lass are working then?
Child care must be a horrendous amount to pay out.

I take it that both you and your lass are working then?
Child care must be a horrendous amount to pay out.

We are, luckily she has a very good job and we can afford childcare but it's still a lot. My wage is average at best, so I've gone part time at the moment for childcare reasons. We're trying to get the kids back into some sort of normal routine currently. Eldest back at school 3 days a week and the odc half day in nursery for the littleun. We were considering me going part time anyway before this all kicked off. We are thinking its maybe time to let them spend time with the grandparents now, even if against the rules.

My mother has been watching my two year old for a few weeks.

we don’t have a childminder at the minute.

So no hope of social distancing there then.
Nope.

Didn’t have any other choice though. My childminders husband died and we had no other choice. Both me and the missus are teachers and haven’t really been away from work anyway.

my HT is quite good as they have let me go in late and and leave early to collect the eldest who’s in reception. We normally pay for wrap around care for her but that’s not allowed at the minute.

it’s been stressful as fuck tbh the last three weeks sorting out the pick ups and drop offs.

Nope.

Didn’t have any other choice though. My childminders husband died and we had no other choice. Both me and the missus are teachers and haven’t really been away from work anyway.

my HT is quite good as they have let me go in late and and leave early to collect the eldest who’s in reception. We normally pay for wrap around care for her but that’s not allowed at the minute.

it’s been stressful as fuck tbh the last three weeks sorting out the pick ups and drop offs.

My sympathies mate. I didn't last last long in the teaching game after having a go, and have utter respect for those that stick it out. I normally work a four week rolling shift pattern including weekends. Luckily my work have allowed me to do 8.00-12.30 during the week. The kids sit in front of the TV in the morning whilst I try to do something with them in the afternoon.

My sympathies mate. I didn't last last long in the teaching game after having a go, and have utter respect for those that stick it out. I normally work a four week rolling shift pattern including weekends. Luckily my work have allowed me to do 8.00-12.30 during the week. The kids sit in front of the TV in the morning whilst I try to do something with them in the afternoon.
There are worse off than us tbh.

I know a few families who don’t have a relative to fall back on and aren’t key workers.

I'm not released until 1st August, so it's a family BBQ in the garden that day. My granddaughters are 12 and 13 so hugs and kisses have not been a thing for a couple of years, they're more into chucking a bucket of water over me while I'm sitting in the garden and posting it online.
It will be nice to have them around in the house though, even if they sit on their phones and demand food every 10 minutes.

Depends on your situation. Are you and the kid doing strict distancing from other people? If so then probably fine. If either of you have to mix with others then I would say no. Isnt a case of one rule fits all.

I'm not released until 1st August, so it's a family BBQ in the garden that day. My granddaughters are 12 and 13 so hugs and kisses have not been a thing for a couple of years, they're more into chucking a bucket of water over me while I'm sitting in the garden and posting it online.
It will be nice to have them around in the house though, even if they sit on their phones and demand food every 10 minutes.

Released? Where are you like?

Our daughter is a single parent furloughed. She lives nearby. We used to see her and grandson in the garden when we were not allowed simply because she wasnt seing anyone. As soon as we were allowed we started seing them both. The grandson is just turned four. He hadn’t seen another child for about eleven weeks. He has gone to his nursery one day a week for the last three weeks and stays at our house one night a week to give the daughter a break. Prior to virus we minded him three days a week.
Our son lives nearby too. He is very strict a out the virus and until last Sunday we only saw our two grand daughters aged three and five on our driveway at a distance.
Last Sunday he brought them round and we played in the garden for about three hours. Still haven’t had a hug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back